Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2003 1:01:39 PM EDT
Hello All..  I hope this is the right forum to post this question.  I have a Colt AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine.  I've been told that the previous owner had it in his safe for the last 10 or so years.  I believe it is a pre-ban rifle.  Just curious what this may be worth.  It looks like it's never been fired, still has the colt plastic bag on it.  

I did a couple of searches on the net, but the only ones I can find are LEO models.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the s/n.  If it is BD000134 or under, it is worth $4K - $5K.  Otherwise it is a post and probably worth $800 - $950.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello All..  I hope this is the right forum to post this question.  I have a Colt AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine.  I've been told that the previous owner had it in his safe for the last 10 or so years.  I believe it is a pre-ban rifle.  Just curious what this may be worth.  It looks like it's never been fired, still has the colt plastic bag on it.  

I did a couple of searches on the net, but the only ones I can find are LEO models.

Thanks for the help!
View Quote

Welcome, and let us know?
                                                 [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm....my SN is in the 1800's.  However it is not stamped LEO only and it's in a pre-ban configuration.  I checked colt's website and they don't even list it...

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Come another 10 months or so you may find it to be worth very little.  You may also find it to be a postban LEO that wasn't stamped.  Or you may find it is a preban AR15A3.  They are nice rifles, go shoot it and have fun.  

You post also makes me wonder what you paid for it, as you seem to have so little info on it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmmm....my SN is in the 1800's.  However it is not stamped LEO only and it's in a pre-ban configuration.  I checked colt's website and they don't even list it...
View Quote

Its a restricted Law Enforcement Only rifle. Sure hope you are LEO or having that rifle in your possession could get real nasty.

The only AR15-A3 Tactical Carbines legal for civilian possession are those numbered BD000134 and LOWER.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I'm not worried about it being LEO as I am legal to have it, I was just curious since it wasn't stamped LEO and the SN was higher than 134.  

I was thinking about trading it in, but wanted to know what it was worth before I go shopping.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Vipez,

does the S/N start with BD ?? or LBD ?? does it actually have stamped on the left side receiver: "COLT AR-15A3 TACTICAL CARBINE" ??

where in Az. are you ??

if it is a BD & under BD0000134 it is worth more than $4K - $5K if NIB !!

there are few of those A3 Tacticals NIB as they were originally intended for LEO only but there was no restrictions for civilians to own one....., my guess is that there are only about 20-25 of these carbines still NIB & mine is one of them.........even when the ban sunsets this gun will hold is value & most likely increase in value......!!

can you post a photo ?????
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was just curious since it wasn't stamped LEO and the SN was higher than 134.  

I was thinking about trading it in, but wanted to know what it was worth before I go shopping.
View Quote

Although the ban went into effect in 9/94, the BATF did not require that the rifles be stamped with the LEO markings until 7/95. So for rifles produced during that 10 month window, there will be no markings.

This is why you cannot rely solely on LEO markings to determine the status. Always check the SN.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I am in the Phx Metro Area.  My SN starts with BD.  It is actually stamped Colt AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine .

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Then it is definitely a post-ban and often referred to as a "transition" model.  It was manufactured after the 9/94 cutoff date, but before the stampings were changed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top