Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2003 10:31:40 AM EDT
While beating a nearly dead horse, would appreciate comments on experences between the ACOG TA11 and TA31.

Would be for use on a 20" HBAR M16 which also has a M4 upper with an Aimpoint M2.  Primary use is shooting multiple targets (aka long range subgun match type shooting) out to 300 yards.  Many of the targets are small (6") and thus approximate 18" at a greater distance (with out the wind drift or drop ...)
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, there is not much of difference in magnification. All stuff aside, it depends on your personal prefference of eye relief.

Personally find TA31's eye relief fine for me, but some folks have problems with it. They appreciate generous eye-relief of TA11. The cost is slightly lower magnification, slightly less field of view, a little heavier and bigger size.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Have played with one TA11, which I liked, however, have no time on the TA31 ... so trying to decide with second hand information.

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you know on Tuesday or Wednesday when I get my TA31 [:d]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Have one TA11 mounted on my 14.5 FA M4 since a long time ago , completely satisfied.

Had the chance to play with one TA31 few weeks ago , almost the same stuff , just a little bit smaller and lighter , just a little bit of more power ( X4 ) , same good rugged and reliable quality .

PP out
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I find the TA31s generous field of view a decent trade off for the TA11's better eye relief.  And I like the fact that its smaller and lighter.

I wouldnt feel my money was wasted on either.  Find one of each to play with and decide where your big bucks are better spent.  ACOGs are all good, so it really does come down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both and can't figure out which I like better.  For me, it's a choice between a smaller package vs better eye relief.  Both are nice.

Maybe when I get a compact ACOG, that will solve my dilemna.  Heck, most of my shooting is under 200 meters anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
One item pointed out to me off line, is that the short eye relief of the TA31/TA01 series can be addressed by either mounting the ACOG to the rear of the flat top.

With BUIS mounted the TA31 works nicely with the CAR stock set one notch shorter.

Would like to check who is using the TA31 with full size A1/A2 stocks?

P.S. Over the last year plus have not been able to find any one with a TA31 to take a look through, in particular mounted.  Offer for supper still stands for anyone with in driving distance of Indiana.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had both, but only have a 31F now.  Something to consider, if you are going to be shooting smaller targets out to 300 yds. you may want to consider the chevron as opposed to the donut, due to the more precise aiming point. However, the donut is faster and easier to pick up than the chevron. There is always going to be a trade off.  I used the 11 for CQ and the 31F for longer ranges.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One item pointed out to me off line, is that the short eye relief of the TA31/TA01 series can be addressed by either mounting the ACOG to the rear of the flat top.

All I can say is OUCH!!!!!
I have been bitten way to many times by the eye piece of a TA01 and then a TA31 In Training. Many a Time I would hit and Roll come up with what felt like a Good cheek weld until I fired My M5, Damn that hurt, then Id have guys laughing their butt off the next day because of the Black eye from my $800.00 scope Id been bragging about!!!! I also have had problems with aquiring a good sight picture with body armor on due to the eye relief. Installing a shorter M4 stock gets you close again but then theres that Darn eye piece jabbing you again in the eye socket. The TAO1 and TA31 I tried were excellant off the bench, couldnt be happier, BUT in the field FOR ME the eye relief is a HUGE problem.  I sold Both of my 4X's and Bought a TA11D, wouldnt trade it for the world!!!!!!
IMHO
cp
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL...yeah...I'm now in the market for a TA11D myself!

Life Lesson #5,923: never sell a TA11 cause you'll just want another one down the road!

[;)]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... I'm now in the market for a TA11D myself! ...
View Quote

Would like to ask (on line or off) what you are putting the TA11D on and the application.

And then pick you brain on the reasons why the TA11D vs the donut or TA11F?

[green][i]With any luck can have a donut vs pointed ACOG sighting systems to approch the Eotech vs. Aimpoint thread from hell [:)] [/green][/i]

[img]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/1400.jpg[/img][img]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/797A.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[green][i]With any luck can have a donut vs pointed ACOG sighting systems to approch the Eotech vs. Aimpoint thread from hell [:)] [/green][/i]
View Quote

[shock]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL

Well, I'm a fan of larger reticules with sharp edges.  My viewpoint, from my own shooting, learning, reading, contemplating, mediating, masterbating, eating, sleeping, working, etc...

Is that the TA11D felt awesome when I owned one.  I've since used the donut and chevron, and I still like the triangle best.

When I get all hyped up and go for fast target acquisition, I like the big bright BAC of the triangle.  I was on target every time, and like EagleCP pointed out, I too was double dribbling my eye socket off the ACOG.

Plus, I never shoot beyond 200 yards with my AR.  Not in Maine.  So short to medium ranges with some CQB makes the TA11D a great choice...

for me.

Again, I'd like to point out that I've since sold my TA11D, and now I'm looking to get another one.

ACOG's are like women you meet in bars, some are easy on the eyes and sweet to use, others don't look right or feel right and would just assume give you a black eye.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Like Hokie Said
The Triangle is bright and crisp for the BAC feature, I think it sticks out better than the Chev. But for precise aiming at longer ranges the tip of the triangle is fast and dead on!
cp
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top