Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2006 2:48:49 PM EDT
OK so I bought an PRS stock got it today all excited to install it. and it will not FIT!

I ahve tried it on two different rifles, one with a dpms kit and one with a bushy kit.

it fits on neither, the only way I got it installed was by removing thge upper part and sliding it on (took alot of force), and then using a pair of pliers to clamp it to the bottom and thread the screws back through. I am very disapointed. even installed like this it clamps down so tight on my buffer tube that the spring and buffer do not always return home they get caught in the tube....

WTF is wrong, did they send me an AR-10 one? how do i tell the difference?

Josh

MAGPUL's RESOLUTION!

Quoted:

The issue was with the PRS top cover. The material we use is very sensitive to molding conditions and this caused a few units to expand in the thicker areas after the molding process was complete. We thought we caught most of the parts before they were sent (we even had dealers like Denny check all of his stock).

In any case drop us a line and we will send a replacement forward cover to any who has this issue come up. It is a real simple user fix remove two bolts and switch out the parts.

So far we have only found 4 stocks with this issue and it was only with a small batch.

Hope this information helps.

After fixing the stock myself by using a dremel to remove the excess material it fit as it should, Dont worry since magpul says this is a small case and said they would fix it for people, This stock is high quality! Very well worth the money. The extention and cheek peice are nice. Very solid stock!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
YOU might be doing something wrong.

ever think of that?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
YOU might be doing something wrong.

ever think of that?

No..... The only instuctions you get are from the site, just slide it one, well unless you are he-man that isnt going to happen, its WAY to tight, you can look into the part that slides over the tube and see where the buffer tube is rubbing the sides and see the stock swell up trying to fit over it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
OK so I bought an PRS stock got it today all excited to install it. and it will not FIT!

I ahve tried it on two different rifles, one with a dpms kit and one with a bushy kit.

it fits on neither, the only way I got it installed was by removing thge upper part and sliding it on (took alot of force), and then using a pair of pliers to clamp it to the bottom and thread the screws back through. I am very disapointed. even installed like this it clamps down so tight on my buffer tube that the spring and buffer do not always return home they get caught in the tube....

WTF is wrong, did they send me an AR-10 one? how do i tell the difference?

Josh

Did you have an A1 or A2 stock on and just remove the stock and spacer before you installed the PRS? You are using the stock screw that came with the PRS?  If this is what you did call Magpul.  You must have the buffer tube in a bind to affect the spring and buffer operation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Non MIL spec buffer tubes?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You can run your finger around the tube inside the prs and feel it is not round at all, it has two lumps on the sides... This is whats causing the problem i think.... Bad quality control maybe?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How do you tell teh difference between a mil-spec tube and a non mil-spec tube? One is from a bushmaster lower parts kit the other from a dpms...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would suspect since its DPMS & BM.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do i need a colt of something .... Explain the difference between mil-spec and non-mil spec.

DIRECT FROM MAGPULS SITE

Product ID: 5487    Category: Magpul Modular Stock System (MSS)
Precision Rifle Stock
Description: Drop in replacement for A1 or A2 standard AR15/M16 Stocks. Provides Adjustable LOPand Comb height adjustments with click wheels. Free Shipping. THIS ITEM CANNOT BE EXPORTED OUTSIDE THE US WITHOUT A VALID EXPORT PERMIT Weight= 28 oz LOP Adjst= 1 inch Height Adjst=0.6 inch Charging handle can be used with Comb raised. Removable base cover with built in rail for mono pod. Sling loops can be mounted either side of stock. Will ship mid Dec.
Price:  $255.00

It says nothing about needing a special buffer tube, says drop in replacment for an A2 stock which is what I am trying to do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My bad, the PRS doesn't use a collapsible tube which are the only ones that are produced out of spec IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's your problem, they are not mil spec tubes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My bad, the PRS doesn't use a collapsible tube which are the only ones that are produced out of spec IIRC.

Im almost positive its a defect in the PRS, because inside the tube for it it has a lump on each side that the buffer tube catches on.... I am very disapoint expecially for $250!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one has answered my question of what exactly makes it mil-spec and what doesnt..... And Magpuls site Does not say anything about needing a mil-spec tube! Just says its a drop in replacement for an A1 or A2 stock and its not doing that if i need a different tube.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Still needs an in-spec lower recever extension tube, whether its a sliding stock or rifle.  Does it work on a Colt/KAC/LMT A1/A2 rifle lower recever extension tube?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I had no problem using it on my Colt buffer extension
I second the guess it's yer tube.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still needs an in-spec lower recever extension tube, whether its a sliding stock or rifle.  Does it work on a Colt/KAC/LMT A1/A2 rifle lower recever extension tube?

IDK i dont have those laying aorund... Can anyone give me the diameter of a mil-spec buffer tube and ill measure mine witha  pair of calipers to see if its off size.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the A2 stock buffer tube/receiver extensions were all the same and it was only the collapsible models that differed?

Jcovercash, different companies use different buffer tube diameters which can cause fitting issues with some stocks. But like I said, I thought this was only with the collapsible stock tubes.

I'm unsure but pictures of the stock would surely allow people to make a more educated suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Ill try to get pictures of the excess material.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard of a mil spec size differance on the standard buffer tubes. Have only seen that on the collapsable stocks.
I just grabbed a spare tube I have laying around and it is 1.108. I took the stocks off and checked 2 other buffer tubes (yeah, I'm that bored) and those measure 1.105, 1.107. My A1 and A2 stocks have at least .015 to .020 play in just going by feel (sorry I don't have a dial indicator laying around to be exact).
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IDK i dont have those laying aorund... Can anyone give me the diameter of a mil-spec buffer tube and ill measure mine witha  pair of calipers to see if its off size.

I don't have them at my finger tips, but will try and get them. The only reliable Mil-Spec sliding or A1/A2 extension tubes I am aware of come from Colt/KAC/LMT & VLTOR (not all inclusive - such as CMT). All others are suspect at best.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard of a mil spec size differance on the standard buffer tubes. Have only seen that on the collapsable stocks.
I just grabbed a spare tube I have laying around and it is 1.108. I took the stocks off and checked 2 other buffer tubes (yeah, I'm that bored) and those measure 1.105, 1.107. My A1 and A2 stocks have at least .015 to .020 play in just going by feel (sorry I don't have a dial indicator laying around to be exact).

Tahnks ill walk out to the bulding and check my two tubes in a min. I would say my tubes would need to be about an 1/8 smaller and i dont see them being that far outta spec.... I think its the stock.

BTW whats the difference between the buffer tubes on the AR-10 and AR-15 ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a factory fresh RIFLE buffer tube. I bought a brand new DPMS tube from Midway USA. You will also need a rifle spring and buffer. Thats it. Enjoy  (P.S. If it still doesnt fit then, send it back to Magpul.)ETA You paid too much for it. But we all have done that from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tahnks ill walk out to the bulding and check my two tubes in a min. I would say my tubes would need to be about an 1/8 smaller and i dont see them being that far outta spec.... I think its the stock.

No differance between AR10 and AR15 as they use the same stock and buffer tube.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Here are some pics. VERY large in size, you will have to copy/paste because this site doesnt allow hotlinking. If someone else can host them for a while that would be great....

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/jcovercash/IMG_0372.JPG ---This is the stock. Its only markings are CAGE 1LX50

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/jcovercash/IMG_0375.JPG ---Here you can see the excess material. It doesnt show up as much as you can feel it. When you run your finger around that area you can REALLY feel the lumps.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/jcovercash/IMG_0379.JPG ---This is as far as either buffer tube will go in by hand and by lgith tapping......

Josh
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is there an AR-10 verion and an AR-15 version of the PRS stock then?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Get a factory fresh RIFLE buffer tube. I bought a brand new DPMS tube from Midway USA. You will also need a rifle spring and buffer. Thats it. Enjoy  (P.S. If it still doesnt fit then, send it back to Magpul.)ETA You paid too much for it. But we all have done that from time to time.

The DPMS tube is brand new, only 2-3 months old and has been in an A2 stock since I got it. IMHO I shouldnt have to buy a special part to fit something that doesnt ask for it in the first place and cost so much to start with.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Has nothing to do with Mil-Spec... Take a Picture... Show me what you are doing...
My PRS went on my Buffer tube with no issues at all raised the cheek rest a touch and it slid right on used the Magpul screw and no problems at all! Show me what you are talking about..
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is there an AR-10 verion and an AR-15 version of the PRS stock then?

The differance is the adjustable cheek rest. The 10 is shorter as the charging handle pulls farther back. Other than that the stocks are suspossed to be the same.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have them at my finger tips, but will try and get them. The only reliable Mil-Spec sliding or A1/A2 extension tubes I am aware of come from Colt/KAC/LMT & VLTOR (not all inclusive - such as CMT). All others are suspect at best.

I measures the bushy is 1.105 and the dpms is 1.108 Not nearly enough difference to make it fit this tight, it would have to be 1" for it to fit or less I think.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Has nothing to do with Mil-Spec... Take a Picture... Show me what you are doing...
My PRS went on my Buffer tube with no issues at all raised the cheek rest a touch and it slid right on used the Magpul screw and no problems at all! Show me what you are talking about..

Look at my pics on the other page. Its the first section of the stock that is up top that is the trouble. Its the excess matterial that is there that is hanging on I am visually confirmed this, you can see it shaving some of the meterial everytime I twist it in.....

It fits onto the stock fine without this peice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Call or E-mail Magpul. I am sure they will square you away. That would be my first move instead of posting on ARfcom. Deal with the people who made it anything else is guessing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Call or E-mail Magpul. I am sure they will square you away. That would be my first move instead of posting on ARfcom. Deal with the people who made it anything else is guessing.

Well it 8" friday night not like i can get in touch with them, and i have been waiting 2 months on this....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

jcovercash, you should read the above quote 2 or 3 more times.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#33]
.It has nothing to do with milspec or not tubes...

also, here are the pics made hot:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#34]
tag for the outcome.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Rifle receiver extensions are pretty much the same diameter. They might very in quality, but the extensions are the same dimension.

The only difference between a milspec tube and a commercial tube is that the Milspec tubes are made from an "impact extrusion", the commercial are usually made of tubing and with a cap welded on the end. The welded area are then machined down and then hard anodized.

The problem with the stock is that the part of the stock was molded improperly. You can tell by the excess glass that is seen in the part (swirly strains giving it a grayish haze). The excess material inside may be cause by gases that expanded during and/or after the injection mold process. In other words, they may be bubbles.

Send that thing back and tell Rich to get you another one.

wp

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well it 8" friday night not like i can get in touch with them, and i have been waiting 2 months on this....

Did you try loosening the allen screws on the stock to reduce the tension on the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you try loosening the allen screws on the stock to reduce the tension on the buffer tube?

Yea it was still tight as a mofo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
tag for the outcome.

The outcome is this..... I busted out the dremel, ate away at the excess and SHABAM slide right one. Nice tight fit too.

Wackypeacock thanks for the info, I will get in touch with Rich even though I have already modified this and let him know about the problem, what I did, and see if I can purchase a replacement peice (would have him exchange it but I done made it work )

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Great!

Enjoy...

wp
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for the outcome.

The outcome is this..... I busted out the dremel, ate away at the excess and SHABAM slide right one. Nice tight fit too.

Wackypeacock thanks for the info, I will get in touch with Rich even though I have already modified this and let him know about the problem, what I did, and see if I can purchase a replacement peice (would have him exchange it but I done made it work )

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Glad you got it to work.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Glad you got it fixed but you should have called us.

The issue was with the PRS top cover. The material we use is very sensitive to molding conditions and this caused a few units to expand in the thicker areas after the molding process was complete. We thought we caught most of the parts before they were sent (we even had dealers like Denny check all of his stock).

In any case drop us a line and we will send a replacement forward cover to any who has this issue come up. It is a real simple user fix remove two bolts and switch out the parts.

So far we have only found 4 stocks with this issue and it was only with a small batch.

Hope this information helps.

Im a fix it myself kinda guy If I think I can do it, plus I was feeling kinda board tonight. After getting the stock mounted I REALLY like it, high quality product.

Thanks for the info. I will edit my OP to reflect this info!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like WECSOG/Dremel saved the day again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Im a fix it myself kinda guy If I think I can do it, plus I was feeling kinda board tonight.

Arfcom pun?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im a fix it myself kinda guy If I think I can do it, plus I was feeling kinda board tonight.

Arfcom pun?

lol no pun intended :p
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I was one of the four people that got a stock with the buldges inside... I called the Magpul guys, and they immediately shipped me a replacement piece (overnight, I think, and threw in a suprise) and just asked me to send back the bad piece, which I did. The stock fits perfectly and fuctions great.... Very good customer service.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top