Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2003 2:52:37 PM EDT
Since we can't link to auctions (like >EBAY< ), I'll just cut and paste the info on this "rare" scope:

"Extremely rare LAPD ACOG!
Only 300 exist and only 30 privately owned by LAPD Officers! This Trijicon 4x32 TA01LAW ACOG has red tritium center crosshairs that provide excellent day and incredible nighttime accuracy to 800 meters. This ACOG scope was designed by LAPD Officers to be mounted on the UPR (Urban Police Rifle) for urban tactical situations. This ACOG was deployed in numerous tactical situations in the streets of Los Angeles for 1 year. It is in outstanding condition.

All model TA01LAW ACOG's were purchased by the LAPD and only 30 by LAPD Officers to be used on LAPD rifles. It is doubtful if the LAPD will ever sell, most of the officers that own one will probably keep it for their own use. This makes the LAPD TA01LAW are rare find. "

Looks like a standard TA01 in the photos, but for $750?!?!?  

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Marketing for the Stupid.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
EBAYers say anything they have to say in order to sell their crap.  I guess if being handled and/or used by LAPD personnel meks it a "rare piece" then yes, I guess it is.  The part about being designed by them for mounting on their "UPR's", well somebody will believe it.  Heck, people believe that Tom Cruise is straight.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
What?  You mean there is no such ACOG as the "Extremely rare LAPD ACOG"?  Geez, I just bought one along with my XM8.  Think I got screwed on that one too?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Who the hell cares?  LAPD doesn't exactly have the best reputation after all the scandals, abuses and corruption, and this is just what we know of, it's just a small portion of what never will see the light of day.  Most recently a captain from LAPD was arrested for selling illegally copied DVDs.  I want my equipment to have nothing of that sort associated with it.  A few rotten apples had done it to an otherwise honorable service, and the list includes the current chief, the last one, and the one before that.  LAPD can eat my shorts.

Furthermore, it shows either they haven't done their research or the decision to get a TA01 is political or budget based, TA31 would have been a much better choice for the kind of engagement they'll most likely find themselves in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You're right, the TA01NSN was a bad choice.  This is probably being sold by an LAPD officer wanting to fund the purchase of a TA31 or a TA11.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Marketing for the Stupid.
View Quote

Basically. Why would one go out of the way to buy an "LAPD issue TAO1NSN?" hint:TA31
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
LAPD? Aren't they the anti-gun guys that got their city council to ban almost everything? Including the .50 cal "sniper" rifles?

Like I'd buy from them....

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
1st:  I believe the only time you [b]can't[/b] link to an auction is in regard to the EE, when the link is to an item your selling and your intent is to raise the price of what you have to sell.  Links just for informational sake, or conversation sake aren't forbidden, that's my belief anyway.

2nd:  "a few rotten apples..." have nothing to do with an entire department.  
The scope in question may or may not be LAPD issue or even sanctioned by them and or their tactical team and or its instructors.  However, not wanting you gear to be associated w/ it is like saying you wouldn't run an M16/M4 aimpoint, acog etc. because of the "massacre at mai lai"  BS.  Whether or not there are some a$$#ole$ out their F...ing up the works, like the @$$#ole$ going on shooting sprees, or not, don't judge the many by the few.
They have a world class SWAT team.  Period.

3rd:  Because they're upper echelons choose to advance their own political careers by endorsing @$$#ole politicians and their stances on gun control, means little, when trying to determine whether or not the dept. has a good ability to make sound tactical equipment choices.

I'd agree that ebayers say what they must, I'd agree It's not as great a scope design as the donut reticle etc.  I don't like the scope as described.  I don't believe the vendors description.  
But not "just because it "associated" w/ any particular dept., that's BS".

/S2!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it possible LAPD commissioned a run of custom reticles, much like JP enterprises did?  I don't know of any such special run.  Just a thought.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top