Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2006 4:42:09 AM EST
OK, Im new to cleaning AR and the last time I cleaned the barrel the rod got stuck in it when I tried to patch it. On my pistol I use a jag that looks like a blunt end with a little spike and it pushes the patch through. I have one that looks more like the threading end of a needle for my AR rod. Everytime I push it in it gets jammed in the same place, right past the chamber and it's binding on the metal rod. I can see it where its chipping the cheap red SAF T covering off Right behind where you screw on your attachment. When I use a brush or a mop it doesn't happen. I had an extra push type jag around that was plastic and I tried that and it seemed to bend right where it screws in which would coincide with the missing red right behind it.

Twice last night it screeched like metal on metal, so I gave up I used my mop to finish dying and oiling. Now this barrel has seen som wear as I bought the rifle used as a preban, but I do intend on getting a new upper and if this happened to a new barrel Id be pissed.

Im going to get a new rod not this cheap SAF T crap, but what if anything, am I doing wrong. Whats the right way to secure the patch to the thread type jags? Does anyone have a pic of a patch in one of these jags?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:59:26 AM EST
Are you sure it's not a .30 cal rod?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:07:10 AM EST
Well I threw out the wrapper but Im pretty sure its .22. Like I said the brush and mop go through fine. Just when I put a patch on it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:07:30 AM EST
i use that jag to run a oily patch thru the bore. i don't try to clean with it.
if you can run the rod thru with the mop it's not to big.
so the "needle" jag is wrong.

i would use a Dewey Rod.

use the standard brass jag to patch
use a brass brush rod to scrub you can wrap a patch around the brass bristles and soak it in solvent.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:21:26 AM EST
HK~Thanks for the link Sir, Great idea. Thats what I'll do, (brush/Patch). Mop did a great job anyway last night. Although I wish I knew what went wrong here because oily patch or not it wont go through without binding up when using that needle jag.

What length Dewey Rod do you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:25:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By fortyfive4life:
HK~Thanks for the link Sir, Great idea. Thats what I'll do, (brush/Patch). Mop did a great job anyway last night. Although I wish I knew what went wrong here because oily patch or not it wont go through without binding up when using that needle jag.

metal on metal sound?

definately not the rod, but Dewey rods are nice and comparatively expensive.

you may try cutting your patches smaller (3/4" x 3/4" square)
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:28:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By rob78:

metal on metal sound?

Rob the Rod I have right now is metal, it was the rod. Right behind the tip where you screw in your attchment, the saf T coating was pushed off from the friction after it was bare in that spot it started screeching thats when I stopped using that f***ing thing. The Mop worked but wanted to know why, and what to do in the future.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:40:51 AM EST
HK~ What length Dewey Rod do you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:44:26 AM EST
rod length is a function of your barrel length plus the upper receiver length and any boor guide length. the upper is about 7" long. say the barrel is 16" and you add an extra 1" for the bore guide. total is 24" for the rod. you will need to use the adapter so you get an extra inch.

oh, and my bore guide is a "pro-shot" model BGAR15
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:43:41 AM EST
rob78 might have nailed it above. What patch size are you using? If you are usingtoo large a oatch, it doesn't matter what type of jag you use. Make sure they are sized for a .22 bore, and that you aren't using a .38 or .45 pistol-sized patch.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:54:56 PM EST
Im using a "universal"patch that is a 45 cal I belive, that I cut into fourths.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:00:58 AM EST
your patches need to be less than or equal to a 1"x1" square. I cut my own on a papper cutter usally about 7/8 to 15/16 square.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:57:38 AM EST

metal on metal sound?

Rob the Rod I have right now is metal, it was the rod. Right behind the tip where you screw in your attchment, the saf T coating was pushed off from the friction after it was bare in that spot it started screeching thats when I stopped using that f***ing thing. The Mop worked but wanted to know why, and what to do in the future.

was the coating pushed back all the way around the rod?

reason I ask is, if the coating is only pushed back on one side or in a particular area, you need a bore guide.

It could be that you are applying force to the rod, causing it to bend and contact the bore.

this would explain why the mop works but patches don't. Again, try cutting your patches smaller and using a bore guide.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:46:02 AM EST
Yes it is on one side and seems to be bending or something. The mop and brush work fine though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:57:42 AM EST
Pull your rod thru rather than pushing it. It's a little more effort, but idiot proof.

And +1 on the Dewey.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:12:53 AM EST

Yes it is on one side and seems to be bending or something. The mop and brush work fine though.

you need a boreguide and smaller patches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:22:18 AM EST

Pulling the ROD thru, military style, eliminates the need for boreguides and precision sized patches.

Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:29:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2006 7:29:30 AM EST by markm]

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
your patches need to be less than or equal to a 1"x1" square. I cut my own on a papper cutter usally about 7/8 to 15/16 square.

That's a good idea, knuckle head!

I cut mine to approximately 1 3/4" square - depending on the thickness of the t-shirt that I'm cutting from.

Larger patches PULLED THROUGH is more efficient in my experience. It takes a little more work in the short run, but you end up running less patches through the gun. Bigger patches have more surface area to grab filth. Plus pulling through allows you to run tighter patches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:37:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By markm:

Pulling the ROD thru, military style, eliminates the need for boreguides and precision sized patches.

PUSHING is just WRONG

Markm is correct! almost always

Might try smaller patches

I use about 8 patches when cleaning my AR`s anything more is a waste of time

I bought my Dewey back in the early 90`s and its still going strong Great Rod BTW

I also love my OTIS wich will Fit in a Grip easy!!

Also I have and use GI Cleaning Kits wich do a great job and come Very cheap

I dont worry about my Barrels since they are all Chrome lined so I USGI wont hurt it a bit
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:05:50 AM EST
I always pull my patches/brushes and never push. Also make sure you have your hand on a piece that will allow the patch/brush to spin as the barrel warrants it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:59:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By FMJ:

Why do you say that?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:04:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By glocktex:

Originally Posted By FMJ:

Why do you say that?

Because he's NUTS!

I go thru about 15-20 patches per cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:31:31 AM EST
I cleaned my new 6.8 upper last pm and went through at least 50+ patches. The damn thing was dirty as all get out. However I finally got the patches to come clean.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 1:47:32 PM EST

I cleaned my new 6.8 upper last pm and went through at least 50+ patches. The damn thing was dirty as all get out. However I finally got the patches to come clean.

clean it again tonight.
i bet you get dirty patches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:27:49 PM EST
With the patch, jag, and push method. Using the right size patch is critical. With this method the patch works like rings on a piston and pushes all the crap out the end of the barrel. If you use a patch that is to large, you can jam the patch and rod in the barrel in short order.

Both methods work, for me patch, jag and push requires less patches, but the pull thru method is more idot proof amd requires a larger patch.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:23:51 PM EST

I had a PTR 91 that was like that. Except it was the copper fouling that took several cleaning sessions over days to get almost out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 1:33:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/24/2006 1:35:30 AM EST by fortyfive4life]
So do you take the rod handle off and dropp it through or tie some patches to some cord and pull them through like that, what size patch to pull through versus push?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 1:58:58 AM EST
for the pull through method, you insert the rod from the muzzel. thread the patch holder on when the rod is in the upper reciver. then you pull out the rod. Remove patch holder place new patch in patch holder and repeat.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:12:44 AM EST
Sounds like the patches may be too big, or not threading them thru the needle tip correctly. Funny no one mentiuoned using a Bore Snake. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:30:36 AM EST
Finaly got that one under control today. I found I have to Be more gentle, place the upper up on something and guide the rod through than attach the patches and pull through. I was trying to hold the upper in one hand and do the rod with the other before. I also found that I need a bore guide, if this crap happens on my new upper I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:27:53 PM EST
Ya know I finally looked at my cleaning rod and it's made by Kleen-Bore so I don't know why the coating came off so easy even if it did get caught between the patch and the bore.

I just ordered a Dewey so I hope I've learned how to be gentle and hopefully the coating is thicker as they say.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:51:49 PM EST
if your going to spend the money on e Dewey please spend a little more and get a bore guide.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:58:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:
if your going to spend the money on e Dewey please spend a little more and get a bore guide.

I was looking for that all I could find was a muzzle guide. Is that the same thing? Maybe I can go pick one up I realized they are about 30 minutes from me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:07:22 PM EST
nope. the muzzle guide protects just the muzzle and let's you clean from the muzzle end.
what i am talking about is a tube about 3/4" in diameter and slides in the upper and keeps solvent from leaking into the chamber area. it protects the rod and barrel from contact and aligns everything.
Top Top