Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2004 10:05:56 AM EDT
So I just called up Bushmaster to inquire about prices/features on an AR, and "Matt" tells me that the ban ends tomorrow morning. WTF?! When I asked him if he'd seen the BATFE's website, he said he had and that it was "misleading". It looks pretty explicit to me. Is this matt guy lying to me, or are a bunch of guys on the forums inadvertently breaking the law?

My day just got derailed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Direct quote from www.atf.gov:

"Q: Was the SAW ban permanent?

A: No. The law enacting the ban provided that it would expire 10 years from the date of enactment, which was September 13, 1994. Therefore, effective 12:01 a.m. on September 13, 2004, the provisions of the law will cease to apply."

Click here to read the rest:

Semiauto Assault Weapons Ban FAQ

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's what I thought. But why is a guy at Bushmaster telling me something completely wrong?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#3]
You really have to give someone the "WTF Look" when they tell you the official announcements from the agency responsible for enforcing the law are wrong.

Then again, we waited 10 years.  Another day really isn't going to matter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, that's what I thought. But why is a guy at Bushmaster telling me something completely wrong?

I don't know.  You can't argue with the text there, it gives exact time and date.  Maybe they are giving it a day to CYA, maybe there are uninformed or choose to be uninformed.  Any way you cut it, they, of all people, should know better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess the page is incorrect. A quick call to the ATF's West Palm Beach office confirmed what Bushmaster said. It sunsets tonight.

I guess I shouldn't care so much about one day, but this really chaps my ass.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess the page is incorrect. A quick call to the ATF's West Palm Beach office confirmed what Bushmaster said. It sunsets tonight.

If that's true an awful lot of criminals posted pix of their criminal posessions here on this site.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's true an awful lot of criminals posted pix of their criminal posessions here on this site.

DOH
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you going to believe what an uninformed someone from the ATF in West Palm Beach office said, or are you going to believe what Audrey Stucko, "Chief, Firearms and Explosives Services Division, ATF" wrote in a signed letter on the ATF website?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys,

Everyone is so hung up on this.  I don't understand all this.  If I were in business for myself, I would wait the extra day also.  So what about what one print out says.  The way the ATF works, they could shut you down and cause MAJOR headaches even though THEY are wrong.  Piss on that.  Wait the extra day.  Anyone who can't get over it can just move on.  

So save your money one extra day

Doc

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are you going to believe what an uninformed someone from the ATF in West Palm Beach office said, or are you going to believe what Audrey Stucko, "Chief, Firearms and Explosives Services Division, ATF" wrote in a signed letter on the ATF website?

Then why all the confusion?  Everyone I'm hearing(inc. Wayne LaPierre) and everything I'm reading says its going to end tonite...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
All I know is this:

It says the time and date on their website.  "12:01AM on September 13, 2004" is a pretty definite point in time and hard to argue with.  Have the f^@#'tards go to their own web page and read the info that their superiors are putting out.  Then they should contact their superiors for clarifying information if they are still confused.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Charlotte office says it's tonight too. I don't mean to act like a troll, and it really is pretty much a moot point now, but this doesn't give me any confidence in the ATF at all. Sorry to spoil the fun guys, I'll quit bitching.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Charlotte office says it's tonight too. I don't mean to act like a troll, and it really is pretty much a moot point now, but this doesn't give me any confidence in the ATF at all. Sorry to spoil the fun guys, I'll quit bitching.

Did you ask them to read the letters on their own web page?  They probably didn't.  I'm done with this also.  Beurocratic retards.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
All I know is this:

It says the time and date on their website.  "12:01AM on September 13, 2004" is a pretty definite point in time and hard to argue with.  Have the f^@#'tards go to their own web page and read the info that their superiors are putting out.  Then they should contact their superiors for clarifying information if they are still confused.

It seemed pretty clear to me too...BUT all I see and hear is pointing to tonite.  Isn't that strange? or is it the lib's idea to alter reality???
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Hard to believe someone ignores what is on the ATF website..  
 ban instituted for 10 years. began 9-13-94..  how on earth is 10yrs later 9-14-04? or even 9-13-04? a ban for 1 year starting jan 1 ends dec 31, not jan 1!!
  but it is a moot point, since the ban will be just as over tomorrow as it is today.
 rant mode off.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top