Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2003 10:11:32 AM EDT
Ok guys, I am not a newbie to this, but am having no luck with getting a set of Foubs m33 handguards onto my new RRA M4 Upper.

Any hints or tricks that you know about?

I just can't get these bitches on.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used them, but there have been posts stating that it was very hard to install these, one guy even used a rubber mallet! Most important is to tape up your delta ring to help prevent scratching.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok.

I wandered out of my workshop for 5 minutes, got back and my 8 year old son had gotten the M4 handgaurds nstalled.

He said it was no problem, he used his Peanut butter spoon as a lever to hold the delta ring down snd slid the damn things on.

No scratches.

Arghh, I am outmoded already .
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok.

I wandered out of my workshop for 5 minutes, got back and my 8 year old son had gotten the M4 handgaurds nstalled.

He said it was no problem, he used his Peanut butter spoon as a lever to hold the delta ring down snd slid the damn things on.

No scratches.

Arghh, I am outmoded already .
View Quote

You may have a gunsmith there!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Nah, he knows how little they make .

The little snot jsut got reulsts form his WAIS test (Wheschler Adult Intelligence Survey) an dhe scored at an IQ of 187.  It is no wonder I turn to him to hook up the VCR...
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I needed a handguard tool...many gun related projects are 3 handed jobs; I'd rate this one a 4 handed job.  I had to push down like a mofo on the handguard tool; make sure you got the front part all the way in the handguard cap...then try to get a portion of the back behind the delta ring.  

Once you do, continue to put pressure on the delta ring, and give the back part of the handguard a good shot with the palm of your hand.  Before you do, though, make sure the groove in the back part of the handguard is over the barrel nut, and the groove in the front portion is over the gas tube.  

What makes it hard is the diagonal nature of the Fobus handguards...they just look weird when you first get them.  

It's almost a full time job just getting the delta ring far enough back to allow you to get the things on...you have to move it MUCH further than you need to get the regular handguards on and off.  

OOPS...I re read you post...the M33s are different from the M44s...sorry!  

Without having seen them, I don't know what to tell ya...but I bet a handguard tool would help, if they're anything like the M44s  I got the Midway one for $12 with the dealer discount...it makes it too easy to get handguards on and off.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]
When I put mine on I too ran out of hands and patience. My wife thought my sailor side had gone away until she heard me in the shop cussing FOBUS, Colt, DPMS and any other maker of AR parts. After about an hour I got them one by doing one side first then the other, using the first side to hold back the delta ring while I put on the other half. Then I just slipped the first side in place and snugged everything up with a rap with the rubber mallet (to make sure the delta ring was seated).

After it was all over, I was really satisfied with the hand guards. And they are very stable, no movement detected. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine because taking them off must be a real bear.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the same handguards and had them on in less then 5 minutes.  Maybe 17 years in the Army helped???
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2181969764&category=36077]handguard tool[/url] works great and is cheap!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

This [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2181969764&category=36077]handguard tool[/url] works great and is cheap!
View Quote

An old S&W pistol cleaning rod, or any section of a .22 cal aluminum cleaning rod works just as well and is even cheaper[:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top