Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2005 4:18:47 PM EDT
 Front pivot pin detent, went into orbit......

I was assembeling my Armalite lower, and WOW, I have never seen a detent fly into the wild blue like that one did....

I searched all through the kitchen, last known trajectory, and could not find it, as I was walking back to the table, I stepped on something, sure enough, there it was...

It is finally in the lower, safe and secure.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You must have very sensitive feet to feel a tiny pivot pin detent.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You must have very sensitive feet to feel a tiny pivot pin detent.

I was surprised, normally when I step on something, it is a pebble that got in by being stuck in the treads on the bottom of one of my shoes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I did that when building my first lower but mine got lost in the carpet. I searched around for it for about an hour then gave up. I was waiting on my upper still so I wasn't super worried about it. So I got the email that my upper was on the way and I was going to go buy a detent and my wife just happened to find it in the carpet.......
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, you are lucky to find that SOB..   I had one fly in the kitchen never to be seen again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
pics.....we need pics
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I must admit this is the worst part of building the AR.  I've taken a cardboard box-top in the past to "catch" the projectile that is inevitable to fly!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]
last night at 2am i was feverishly finishing my build, getting frustrated like heck over the little detent pin being thrown around the room twice, and me having to recover it both times in a panic. I ended up using a hex wrench through the pin hole to keep tension on the detent while i applied pressure with the pin itself and slid it in the hole. It was trying, but sucess is sweet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
What a bunch of cheap asses.  buy the damn tool.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

F- that!

Just take a .250 punch from your punch set. Works great.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Next you'll be telling us to RTFM....
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Sheesh. The hole was deep enough in my Superior Arms receiver that a bit of the detent was inside the hole. All I had to do was push it the rest of the way in with the pivot pin and slide that into the pivot bosses. Couldn't get any easier.

But my Stag receiver wasn't drilled as deep and it did launch the pin and spring once. But I got it without much problems.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Put the lower in here and play with pin until your hearts content. If it comes out, no biggie.

Also works for ejector parts.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There's a tool
M
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sheesh. The hole was deep enough in my Superior Arms receiver that a bit of the detent was inside the hole. All I had to do was push it the rest of the way in with the pivot pin and slide that into the pivot bosses. Couldn't get any easier.

But my Stag receiver wasn't drilled as deep and it did launch the pin and spring once. But I got it without much problems.

+1

When I threw together my Superior lower, I thought I forgot the detent......or spring......or something because it went together so easily. I didn't even need to whip out the pliers and the 1/4" allen wrench. I just pushed the detent down with the pivot pin and it snapped into place. Like Bumblebee_Bob said, it couldn't have gotten any easier.

The 2 RRA's, an Oly, and a Colt lower that I have put together weren't nearly as easy.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I launched them 5 times on one build hehe.  I found them the first 2 times, then decided to make it easier on myself, and made little backstop of a small cardboard box with some rags in it.  I *still* can't believe I found them the first 2 times...they hit the ceiling, and bounced down onto various areas of my workbench, in all kinds of nooks and crannies.  Not long after this episode, I got the little tool from Brownell's.

I was gonna make an offering to the patron saint of AR building, but realized there wasn't one.  I telegrammed the Pope to see if we could start the ball rolling on that.  I'm still waiting to hear back.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Hahaha I did that on my build...those things are lethal. I almost started bleeding hehe.

That reminds me of taking off the master link clip on my dirtbike just the other day....dear Lord that clip shot off with insane FPS...went across my garage hit my workbench, shot into the corner and flipped every which way and hit everything it could in the corner. Needless to say I had to go buy a new clip as I still can't find the one that launched.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top