Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2002 11:04:12 PM EDT
I have an all Colt 7.62x39 AR.

Anybody have firsthand knowledge of function, feeding, and reliability using Wolf ammo?

TIA
Tim

Edited 'cause I don't have a 7.62x36
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I would guess that a 7.62x39 AR would function like a 5.56x45 AR.  Wolf ammo might function fine like some people report, but it might not, like other people complain.

It is still an AR, not an AK, so Wolf may not be the best option.  The caliber probably makes less difference than the action and the tolerances it is machined to.

I don't have one though.  Buy a box and see if it works.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought this rifle as a novelty...  not the best reason. I like the caliber.  

The AKs have ate the Wolf like yesterday's road kill.  

I have not fired the AR much, due to the lack of hicap mags. I have been trying to buy mags, though I have proved myself ignorant in that arena.

I just hate to give $4.50 a box for Wolf, just to try it out...

Thanks,
Tim

Edited to ask...
Did I ask for firsthand knowledge in that first post?
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the problem with Wolf in my 5.56. Will not extract and have to drive it out.
As for mags, I have friends that use the 20 rnd 5.56 mag and only load 17. they have not had any problems doing that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I, too, bought this rifle as a novelty.  Wolf was the first ammo I tried in it.  Out of a thousand rounds, I had one dud.  It is dirty and requires a bit more cleaning.  Other than that, I had no real complaints about it.  Other than the one FTF, I had no FTEs.  On the other hand, Yugoslavian 7.62x39 is really not that more expensive considering that you are getting a case of 1260 rds for $89.99 and you do not have to worry about lacquer build up since it is brass cased.  The key is not to buy the Yugoslavian that is on stripper clips because that ammo is corrosive.  The box packed ammo is not.  You can get it from:

www.aimsurplus.com

Wolf is ok to feed through an AK47 but for the AR15 I prefer to use the Yugoslavian 7.62x39.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, there's your firsthand experience.  Sorry for offering any input.  I guess I should have just shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Raptor, thanks for the info.  I should have just IM'ed you...

Torf, sorry if you took me the wrong way, but I have read countless hundreds of posts about the Wolf 5.56mm.  I know it works for some rifles, others hate it.  

Thanks,
Tim
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#7]
No problem.  I was just saying that it is likely that a 7.62x39 chambered AR would fire Wolf ammo fine, because most AR's will shoot Wolf.

$4.50 a box for Wolf?  Jeez.  You can do better than that!  $2 per 20 would be more realistic.

If it is that expensive, you won't save much in the long run over cheap commercial brass ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Torf, your input, as is anyone else's, is appreciated on any of my posts. I have questions...  you guys have educated answers.

There are so many variables in .223 and 5.56mm chambered AR's these days.  So many manufacturers, so many "standard" chambers (5.56, .223 Rem, .223Wylde..  I'm sure I'm leaving out more than I mentioned).  Chrome lined barrels, non chrome lined barrels, cut feed ramps, clover leafs, heat sheilds, and, I hate to think, just plain JUNK.  I'm sure this has everything to do with why the wolf is unreliable in certain rifles.

May I also mention that I am not an expert in any of the chamberings, manufacturers, or manufacturer's models of the Dreaded Black Rifle.  

I won't even think of going into the ammo discussion.  

That's why I asked a very specific question in my original post.  Now, I am thinking I should have asked "What is the most reliable CHEAP blasting ammo for an all Colt 7.62x39 Preban AR?"  I have reloading capabilities, so perfection is not a concern when it comes to bulk blasting ammo.

Sometimes it is a real PITA to have such a popular, and highly accessorizable weapon. My first AR was a Match HBAR bought new in 91.  I sold it in early 93, along with most of my other toys(don't get me started, dammit!!!), to finance my first house.  I told my wife-to-be then, that when we were solvent enough to get "our" toys back, that I would be "loading up".  I've been doing just that for awhile, now.

The last couple of years have been a real learning experience for me.  I have recently gotten back into the AR arena.  Goddamn confusing, these days.   So many new chamberings (I WANT ONE OF THOSE BIG BORES!!  SOCOM, maybe???).  So .......many .........everything...

Yes $4.50 a box for Wolf 7.62 in the yocal, yeah, you read that right, fun store.  I'm sure I coulda got a volume discount, but I haven't tried the wolf through the Colt. I don't want to invest a whole lot of cash in something I get nothing good from.  Did I mention that I am still married?  I shoulda never went there.  She lurks here, as I did for a year or so..  I think she's just checking up on me...  imagine that.   Call me a cheap bastard.  But she's a good one...  

I wish I had an AR for every time she said "Just buy the damn thing, I'm tired of hearing you bitch about being broke", and I had $1000 in my pocket.

I bought 2 boxes (40 rounds total) at Wally world a few weeks ago, on my first outing with the 7.62. I just now ripped the tab off the box....  UMC 123 Gr metal case.  I'm pretty sure they were SP.  L726391 is the little bitty # in the lower right hand corner .  They were dangerously close to $8 a box of 20.

They fired fine.  For that price they damn well better!

I need to thank everyone here for educating me, one dumbass question at a time.

Anybody with good experience with 7.62 ammo for an all Colt AR, please feel free to educate me further.

Thanks,
Tim
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top