Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 6:16:51 AM EDT
I would like to get a new precision rig for service type matches.
This is what i have in mind:
Stainless 18" bull barrel (and have it Duracoated/GunKoted), FF rail, flattop upper, bipod, match trigger, standard A2 stock, Leupold mark 4 MR/T scope... basically a Mk12 Mod 1 clone

Should I start with a WOA 18" SPR upper (900$) and then build my lower (add another 300$ at least)
or
start with a complete RRA 18" varmint A4 rifle (859$) and then add a FF rail ?

In other words; is the WOA 18" SPR barrel really worth the money compared to a Wilson 18" stainless bull from RRA ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What do you mean when you refer to "service type matches"?  Do you mean NRA or CMP service rifle competitions?

If yes, then neither will qualify as a service rifle.  Only the 20", semiauto-only M-16 (or civilian equivalent) with an unmodified external features will qualify.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean when you refer to "service type matches"?  Do you mean NRA or CMP service rifle competitions?

If yes, then neither will qualify as a service rifle.  Only the 20", semiauto-only M-16 (or civilian equivalent) with an unmodified external features will qualify.

I'm refering to a state-level competition that isn't NRA or CMP sanctionned.
It is run by the Ontario Rifle Association.
The event is based on the canadian forces small arms competition, but the rules applying to equipment are pretty much "open" to allow the most people (mil and civilian) to compete in a relax setting.
Basically, any military style semi-auto with whatever optics can be used as long as a minimum trigger pull of about 5lbs (2.5 kg) is respected and artificial ground support (bipod, sandbang) are not allowed.
Although it's called the Service Rifle match, it should actually by called a Black Rifle match
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I apologize, I did not notice you were from Canada.  

I have a RRA 16" bull barrel.  It is excessively heavy for anything, even bench shooting.  It works.  It is accurate.  But why make such a heavy profile?  I think they just went for "BULL BARREL" aesthetics, not for function.

I would not hesitate to buy White Oak.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Mike_Mlls

I would not hesitate to buy White Oak.

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
You can own AR's in Canukland?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You can own AR's in Canukland?

Hell yeah
Any barrel lenght, bayonets, FH, collapsible stock, night vision, 37mm launchers, ... if you can pay for it, if you can have it cross the border, then you can have it !

The legal downsides with AR15s are :
- no full-auto
- mags pinned at 5 rds
- we're not allowed to go hunting or shoot on private lands (only gov approved shooting ranges)

Here mine:

And here's some ARs from my canuky friends at www.canadiangunnutz.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top