Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 9:18:07 AM EST
I'm wantnig to find a company that chrome lines barrels. I'm not talking about bushmaster or Armalite but what I want to know is who chrome lines there barrels for them? I know someone else does Armalite and bushmasters thay don't do them themselves. I"m wanting to make some new FN FAL barrels that are chromeline a run of a 100 or more depending on cost. No one seems to make 16in FN chromelined barrels. DSA is not interested.

Any help would be great thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:54:56 AM EST
You could try asking Model 1 if he would let you in on who is doing his next batch of 1919 8mm barrels, as they are going to be chromed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:04:19 PM EST
Is it possible to chrome an existing barrel, and have it shoot fine once you get it back? Or does it add too much thickness to the inside diameter of the barrel? -Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:12:53 PM EST
Years ago there was an outfit in Illinois, Marker Machine, that chrome lined barrels. They had an ad in "The American Rifleman" every month, but I have not seen anything on them in at least 15 years. Electropolishing the bore, prior to plating, took about .001 inch out of the original dimension and that's about all the thickness of the plating was. What you got back was substantially the same dimension as before the plating job. Had them do an M1 Carbine barrel for me about 1955. After about 5or6000 rounds you could see the plating starting to peel slightly right at the throat (we were bump firing before the term was invented [:D]) Still, having that plating was to my mind a good thing to do. Keep us advised of anything you find out about who's doing it now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:02:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/29/2002 2:03:35 PM EST by Blaster3094]
Grinch, I am not familiar with the process of barrel plating but a simple search (Google) on the internet turned up numerous companies that chrome plate. A college friend of mine worked in Thomaston, Connecticut for a company that had a contract chrome plating parts for Harley Davidson. I can't recall the name of the company, but when I searched on the internet for "chrome plating" a number of companies turned up in Thomaston, and neighboring Waterbury. With Pratt Whitney located here in Connecticut as well as other aircraft manufactures I'm sure there are numerous companies competing for plating contracts. I personally dealt with a company called Enthone that did vacuum vapor deposition plating on plastic parts used for reducing Electromagnetic Interference. They are located in West Haven, CT. http://www.enthone-omi.com/ I think that contacting a few of the companies you find on a search would lead you in the correct direction.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:26:34 PM EST
If the plating peeled it was not hard chromed. Hard chrome is bonded to the metal and if you bend a hard chrome plated bar for example the chrome stays put. That is my only reservation about getting everything hard chromed on the inside of my AR. I am worried Id get a surface chrome like you describe. You want HARD CHROME not decorative chrome.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:18:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By DevL: You want HARD CHROME not decorative chrome.
View Quote
Correct, it's expensive too. I called a local shop to get the inside of a 1919 booster hard chromed and he wanted $50. If you can't find a shop that hard chromes in the yellow pages, contact some of your local Tool&Die shops and see who they send their parts to.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:19:10 AM EST
Waldo, just noticed your pic with the 2 vivacious set of jugs on your face. Is that real?????
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:30:23 AM EST
my two cents says that chrome plating barrels is done by very few companies. seems like a really narrow market. i've worked with a couple of small automotive part suppliers that have some specialized coatings put on and they send stuff halfway across the country to have it done. ordinary rack and barrel plating, there's hundreds of companies... inside-barrel chroming, who can do it right, prolly not many. maybe bushmaster would be cool about referring you to their vendor.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:51:48 AM EST
think 2mickey has it right. This is not a process the local chrome plater down the street can do or at least do right. I'm looking for the one or two companies that have been doing it for years. The people who do all the military contract barrels. If I remember it takes special and expensive equiptment to do barrels correctly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:58:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:42:11 AM EST
Grinch, try wilson arms in Bridgeport (I think) Ct. They make the barrels for RRA and DPMS both chrome lned and unlined....if they don't do the lining themselves maybe they'll tell you whe does their work.. They also make custom barrels for folks
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:46:17 PM EST
btdrygulch- I was tracking in the same direction as you on that one. I know wilson makes most of the AR-15 barrel in the industy so I figured they would know. AND they did like I figured BUT, they won't give that info. out like everyone else. There are only 3 companies in the states that do it(I kinda figured) and only one thats really any good at it the two don't do as good of a job so they(wilson) say. The one that does the best is the one that does the Gov. contarct work. Don't bother sending in an order unless your going to do at least 100 barrels.(I was hoping to start with a run of 50)Well I see I was hoping to get the name cuz wison dosn't offer some of the features I would like. So the search contiues.
Top Top