Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:17:38 PM EDT
Need help with handguards.  Pre hurricane Katrina I had GG&G tactical handguards on my m4.  They were the pretty ones with all of the rails that could be moved around.  After working 20 hour days those things came off immediately.  I do need something because i am not happy with the rails that i have thrown on the factory handguards.  

I need input on the lightest, most durable handguards that are out there.  Need to be able to mount flashlight and foreward grip.

PLEASE SEND INPUT AND OR PICS IF POSSIBLE.

THANKS
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen The Big Thread On FF & Railed Forends tacked over in the Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and More forum?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
A Daniel Defense 7.0 weighs 8.5 oz complete

A Daniel Defense 9.0 weighs 10.5 oz complete (Here's mine)

A Daniel Defense 12.0 weighs 13.1 oz complete

In comparison:

0.5 oz Delta Ring & Handguard cap
2.0 oz barrel nut
7.5 oz CAR handguards
10 oz total

2.0 oz barrel nut
8.9 oz M4 handguards
11.4 oz total

2.0 oz barrel nut
11.2 oz Rifle handguards
13.7 oz total

So basically when you calculate all of the parts that the DD rail replaces, you wind up breaking even weight wise.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So basically when you calculate all of the parts that the DD rail replaces, you wind up breaking even weight wise.

What about the rail covers?  Or VFG.  That would have to be included to replace HGs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the rail covers?  Or VFG.  That would have to be included to replace HGs.

Why?  I run my carbine with nothig more than a ladder rail cover on the bottom rail, and even that is just insurance.  But, if you're curious, a ladder rail adds .5 oz and a typical full rubber rail cover adds 1 oz.  A Knight's 11 rib panel adds .9 oz.

A DD 7.0 weighs 8.5 oz, and the parts it replaces weigh 10 oz.  That leaves me 1.5 oz for rails in order to break even on the weight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
A bare rail is going to be too hard you your hands, so IMHO you have to include the panels as part of the rail's weight.  

A DD 7.0 @ 8.5oz with 3 ladder rails @ .5oz each would be exactly the same as regular HGs.  With 3 panels at 1oz each it would be the same as with M4 HGs.  So you really do break even.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top