Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 12:49:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the PRI competition forend lighter than a DD 12.0?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I gotta know what's the damage (to the wallet) of that upper?  How much does the price increase with the lightened bolt carrier? And does the forward assist work on your lightened bolt carrier?  Does the comp forearm use the aluminum barrel nut?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wes,

is that the weight of the upper alone?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought your "competition contour" had flutes?  Is this a different contour? like the one Zac Smith uses?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been toying with the diea of making an ultralight upper much like that. Whats the price?

As for lightening the upper....I've been brainstorming. It wouldnt be for the light of heart thats for sure....
Mark out the rail sections you need to mount the devices you want. Slap the upper in a mill and mill off the remaining rails and angle the sides where the rails were.

It wouldnt save much, but none the less it would cut down on the weight. Otherwise, I havent been able to think of a way to lighten the uppers any more then that.

I've also wondered if it would be possible to flute a bolt carrier. Granted, another task not to be undertaken lightly or by the weak of heart but theres gotta be some material SOMEWHERE on the bolt carrier you can shave off.

Oh yes, I guess you could throw in a carbon fiber barrel as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wes,

is that the weight of the upper alone?

THAT IS THE WHOLE THING, WITH BOLT CARRIER GROUP AND CHARGING HANDLE.

I MUST SAY THAT WHEN YOU PICK UP A COMPLETE WEAPON WITH THIS UPPER INSTALLED, IT FEELS LIKE THE BOLT CARRIER GROUP GOT LEFT OUT.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Wes..right. Thats the weight of the compete upper minus a lower correct? What's a lower weight another 3 lbs~?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Wes/Paul,

Light is good.  Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Aubrey
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top