Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/13/2003 6:37:06 PM EDT
i just bought my new AR15 ( rock river arms 16 inch barrel ) question.... what kind of stuff should i bring with me to target shoot ? i dont reload but am i missing any thing to put in my shooting box ? i have targets, staple gun, ear muffs, shooting table, chair, shooting rest, spotting scope, clips, cleaning rod with all the accesories, scope cleaner. what am i missing ? thanks. marty
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:42:21 PM EDT
Lula Loader, CLP, Cleaning Kit, shell extractor, front sight adjustment tool (or just use a 5.56mm round), hearing protection, flashlight, small brass hammer, brass tap....all I can think of off hand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:43:28 PM EDT
Extra small parts is always good to have.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:58:51 PM EDT
Don't forget your shooting glasses. Remember safety first.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:59:59 PM EDT
Some Cold ones for after the shoot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:52:46 PM EDT
Clean underwear!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:00:16 PM EDT
Clips? You are referring to stripper clips right? I agree with the extra small parts. Also, a measuring tape might be nice if you don't shoot at an established range. I like to keep spare ammo and extra ear plugs/muffs and eye protection for anyone I might take with me. Always take garbage bags to clean up after yourself; whether you reload or not you should pick up your casings and always take your targets back with you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:57:09 PM EDT
DEET or some other kind of bug spray... some ranges may require yellow chamber safety flags...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:00:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U: Extra small parts is always good to have.
View Quote
I agree. Extra firing pin etc...if you can fit it in your box, bring it. Better to be able to fix it at the range than have to wait till next time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:28:50 PM EDT
Cardboard box, turned on its side. One flap taped up, the other cut off. Place it with the opening such that it catches your brass. Keeps your hot brass out of the next guy's shirt collar. Save the brass, you will probably start reloading soon. If you don't, send your brass to me. You left out the "universal AR15 tool". An ordinary nail set. Adjust sights, push pins, etc. Bring SPARE safety glasses and ear plugs (preferable) or muffs for guests. You might want to bring a notebook. Also, MARK ALL YOUR MAGS. Number them, letter them, give them cute names, or color code them. But have a way to tell one from the other. If #23 runs fine, but #45 gives problems, might be good to know. You didn't pack enough ammo. I always bring 3 or 4 rifles, at least. And I always wear a sidearm to and from the range.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:32:57 AM EDT
my range is 10 min away so i just bring ear muffs, glasses, some targets and bullets
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:39:48 AM EDT
That's a pretty damn good list guys. The only thing I can think of to say here is that I carry extra foam ear plugs and safety glasses. There are times when someone else goes with me, and I like to have a pair of safety glasses and foam plugs for them. That way they are protected and you don't have to share your pair {yuck}.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:22:42 AM EDT
Saftey glasses, lula loader, cleaning kit, ammo, bipod, baseball cap or hat of some kind, towels, gloves, ice chest with water and soda, ear muffs or plugs (plugs are not as hot), knee pads, shooting mat, mags, pen and paper (if you want to keep track of performance, yourself or ammo), targets, money. I live in S. Florida and a baseball cap to keep the sweat out of my eyes is a must along with towels and the ice chest. I also found that ear plugs were cooler and more comfortable. Have fun
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:32:40 AM EDT
I like to bring a good pair of 7X-50 binoculars. It is essential if you are shooting without a scope. A magic marker to number your magazines, and a notebook and pen to record which ones failed and with how many rounds in 'em. Also use the notebook to record the ammo you are using and how well it performs. Tools to tighten up your scope mounts if they work loose. As everyone else has mentioned, eye and ear protection. I use foam plugs under muffs. A ball cap and sunglasses.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:58:10 PM EDT
couple of band-Aid strips [8D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:24:44 PM EDT
Even better than a basebal cap is a floppy hat. They are cool and help to keep the sun off of your neck as well as out of your eyes. You can pin up the sides to wear it with ear muffs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:50:30 PM EDT
WOW!! You guys sure bring alot of stuff to the range. Here's my list: Folding chair SUV tailgate used as bench Rifle w/scope Cheap Calwell front rest Target stand with targets 50cal ammo can filled with: AR15 sight adjustment tool screw driver allen wrenches ammo foam ear plugs and Howard Leight 29db muffs And my bottled water
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:00:03 PM EDT
I'd ad punches and some sort or multi tool. Oh, baby wipes. A definite must, especially f you plan on eating during/after shooting. (If there's no bathroom availible)
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:35:37 PM EDT
Spotting scope!!! Walking to the target gets old... Prosise
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:03:16 PM EDT
Bring your kid. "Son, go out and staple up some fresh targets."
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:13:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By A_Free_Man: Bring your kid. "Son, go out and staple up some fresh targets."
View Quote
Good one! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:44:56 PM EDT
you forgot the CLP some rags and yes you'll need a pen to to write in the notebook, I like bringing a sharpie. Duct tape to tape empty 5.56/.223 cases to the target so I can punch some holes in them and get some bragging rights, lets see yuo will also need some extra staples. I think that covers it with all the other stuff that is listed.
Top Top