Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2005 11:32:19 AM EDT
Which reduces or dissipates the flash more efficiently and what brand would you recomend?

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the Votrex is the most effective flash reducer, but cannot be used in conjunction with a bayo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The difference will not be noticeable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#3]
We just had a thread on yesterday with pics and everything.
Really no diff between the two.
I'm running a PhantomII on my carbine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I can notice the difference

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you sure you cannot use/mount a bayonet on a Vortex F.H.?  I thought the new G6 Vortex can .
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe the Votrex is the most effective non-NFA flash reducer,

Correct

but cannot be used in conjunction with a bayo.

False.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
[

I yield to 20iner
My Faux Paux
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Do not take the chance of having a permanently attached Vortex. I have seen way too many of them of various generations blossom.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe the Votrex is the most effective non-NFA flash reducer,

Correct

but cannot be used in conjunction with a bayo.

False.

yes, I know a suppressor competley eliminates flash.

I thought I read that a vortex was too big to fit the bayo over- thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]

I have seen way too many of them of various generations blossom.

Isn't that a problem with the older ones, or even the copies? from what I understand the G6 is fine. One thing for sure, the steel in a G6 vortex is about 10 times stronger than a phantoms steel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I have not seen a G5 or G6 blossom but I still wouldn't permanently attach any open ended flash hider.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That picture is worth putting in the Ammo Oracle website.  Thanks to whoever took the
time to do this test, then assemble the results into one picture.

However-  I've noticed when keeping track of flash that it does vary alot
from round to round.   A 100% accurate test would have sampled a few
shots out of each type.  The FH vs. no FH are dramatic enough, but Phantom
vs. A2 vs. Vortex could have used a few samples.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You won't see a noticeable difference until you imbed one in your thigh while running with a 2 or 3 point sling.  Then, ........
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That picture is worth putting in the Ammo Oracle website.  Thanks to whoever took the
time to do this test, then assemble the results into one picture.

However-  I've noticed when keeping track of flash that it does vary alot
from round to round.   A 100% accurate test would have sampled a few
shots out of each type.  The FH vs. no FH are dramatic enough, but Phantom
vs. A2 vs. Vortex could have used a few samples.

thats a very good point.

When shooting my M4gery in low light conditions, I may see no flash at all, and other shots I see sparks and small flash.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the info guys, it looks as if I will be getting a Phantom rather then a Vortex.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/jwdent/AR_flash.jpg

Isn't it neat that just by cutting some metal a certain way suppresses all that light from the burning powder...
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have seen way too many of them of various generations blossom.

Isn't that a problem with the older ones, or even the copies? from what I understand the G6 is fine. One thing for sure, the steel in a G6 vortex is about 10 times stronger than a phantoms steel.

============
You're absolutely correct, the Vortex G6A2 is machined from heat-treated 8620, with an RC 58 (surface) and RC 35-38 (internal).  Numerous foreign gov'ts have adopted it and others are now keenly intersted in pursuing the dsign.  Canada, for example has just adopted it for their C8 and will most likely go the same way with the C6 and C9 MGs.  Here in Germany, the infantry leadership in Hammelburg is keenly interested in the design licensed for the G-36. My unit over here is building their own SPRs with the Vortex, BTW. Two middle eastern countries will be adopting the design shortly. In the US it is already an issue on the MK14 Mod O (along with other SEI items).  It is also the favored suppressor interface by Crane NSWC.  USA TRADOC also sees this a leading candidate as a component item in the upcoiming family of suprpessors.  Oh and yes, it now standard issue in DOE.  So back to the original question: Phantom or Vortex?  Your concerns are purely civilian, I presume.  As such, the criticality of your decision probably doesn't make for a huge difference.  For the folks above -- like my unit, it's a whole different matter.      
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I thought I read that a vortex was too big to fit the bayo over- thanks for the clarification

If the Vortex 'blooms out' then you'll have some problems (then again you'll need to replace it anyway), but they don't seem to do that anymore.

I did hear of a SAW Vortex version that did fit bayonets, but the standard ones do.  Mine certainly does as do the ones of the people that got me into ARs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top