Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2012 1:04:26 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one of these to go on my M4gery. I'd love an Aimpoint, but can't really justify the cost right now. Any of you guys have any experience with these? Are they good to go?
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had a couple and some have been flawless and some have had issues(as in quit working during a range session) but their customer service is great. Great for plinking but I would not trust my life to one of these.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll give you a little more input. I bought a Strikefire for the exact same reason as you, and while I don't regret it, I am saving up for an Aimpoint and will use the Vortex on something else. The only downsides to my Strikefire is the dot. It looks (and I use this term from others who have had it) like a cluster of grapes. I also don't like the position of the on/off switch because it can be easily bumped on in a case or while the weapon isn't being used. It does have an auto shut down, 6 hours I believe. Everything else about it I love. It came with a 2x magnifier I think, and a high mount for 100% co-witness. Vortex also sells an ARD for it. Supposedly they have a great warranty and CS, but I've yet to deal with any of that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The sight itself is OK but the mount is not really up to par (I broke mine real extra good.)  You might consider a better QD style mount from LaRue or Bobro or whoever you like.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I got one with my PSA M4gery and as far as function I haven't had any problems.  I feel like I really had to adjust the hell out of it to get my POI right, but I'm going to chalk that up to a short indoor range and/or me sucking.  Going to try to get it sighted in again this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I'll be giving one a shot come next paycheck. Anyone know where to get one at a good price? Joebob has them for $149.99, anyone seem a better price?
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Midwayusa with Coupon Code $15 off $100 purchase
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try Midwayusa with Coupon Code $15 off $100 purchase

Didn't think of that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]
If you plan on getting an aimpoint later I would just wait and save up. If not the 400$ aimpoint will end up costing you $550. If it was me and I was doing a budget optic I would get a primary arms micro and an ADM mount for $170. The mount is better and the optic is just as good. I really really dislike the on/off system the strikefire and sparc have. The PA micro has similar controls to an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Was the Vortex SPARC an option ?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you can talk me into it
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can talk me into it

I should start by saying that I am by no means a very good shooter.  It is more of a hobby for me.  I've had my SPARC out to the range twice.  I have it mounted on a Larue LT660hk since I prefer absolute co-witness.  Immediately I was getting 4" groups at 50 yards.  At 100 yards is where I saw the biggest improvement, as I was getting roughly 6" groups.  I personally couldn't ask for anything better than that.

I think I paid $179 for it, but also put the Larue mount on it.  The nice thing is is I ever decide to get an Aimpoint, I'll be able to use the same mount, but have to add the shim that came with the Vortex.  Although I might be wrong about that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#13]
i have a sparc and like it.  this is a good review

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3413-Vortex-Optics-SPARC-Torture-Test-Review

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i have a sparc and like it.  this is a good review

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3413-Vortex-Optics-SPARC-Torture-Test-Review

That is a good review. Maybe good enough to seal the deal for me. A little more than the strike fire, but I'm liking the features. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
it sealed the deal for me also.  i have a aimpoint micro for a work gun, but on my backup is the sparc.  with the way vortex backs their optics its a good investment

good luck
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I love mine. With the 2x magnifier attached, the field of view is very narrow but otherwise, no issues. I've had the StrikeFire since October on my M&P15 sport and bagged a buck this year with it, firing off hand. I've been very pleased.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Good optic for the price, but magnifier is useless junk. The eye relief is literally zero. The eyepiece prevents you from getting close enough to get maximum magnification.

Worth the money, though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my Strikefire.  I have had it for about 6 months now and have shot about 1000 rounds through my AR.  I set it up at 100yds when I first bought the rifle, and checked the 0 last weekend.  Still on.  I'm not sure what everyone's complaint is about the on/off switch.  I have never even come close to "accidentally" turning on the dot.  In fact, I sometimes have to really press that sucker to get it to come on.  I love the red/green switchability and the intensity adjustment, as it has given me a lot of flexibility in shooting outdoors in different light conditions (cloudy vs. sunny vs. low light, etc).  As far as the dot looking like a "bunch of grapes", I just don't see it.  It's not perfectly round, maybe more square shaped, but small and the lower the intensity level, the smaller it appears.  And I'm not sure what the hell that guy was doing with his gun that he broke the mount!  It's a huge, solid mount that you would have to beat someone with to break it.  There is no way in hell he broke it shooting.  If he did, he got a lemon.  I do, however, agree with the doubler review.  It's not much of an added value.

In any event, I can see one poster's point about saving your money for the optic you want.  His wisdom is sage and you should probably listen to him and get a cheap iron rear sight that will get you shooting on paper for $30 and get the Aimpoint when you collect a few more paychecks.  In the end you won't be saying to yourself, "man, I wish I had just waited and gotten the one red dot I really wanted, now I have this spare Vortex to get rid of."  As for me, I never planned to get an Aimpoint (I wanted to build a sub $1000 fun AR) so the Vortex was the perfect choice for me.

YMMV,
Nuke
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good optic for the price, but magnifier is useless junk. The eye relief is literally zero. The eyepiece prevents you from getting close enough to get maximum magnification.

Worth the money, though.

Not to insult your intelligence, please excuse the question, but are you sure you are installing the doubler properly?  I had a problem with mine similar to the one you are describing until I figured out that I was not actually screwing the doubler into the threaded portion of the eyepiece.  The rubber eyepiece with the cap on it is about the same size as the doubler threads and I had to push the threads past the rubber part to get it to start screwing into the actual optic.  Forgive me if you were already doing this, just thought I would throw that out there.

Nuke
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys for all the advice.

Nuke,
Thanks. As far as the Aimpoint goes, I want one, but not on this build. Maybe I'll save up for one one the next one, but I just see no reason to spend half of what the rifle cost on an optic that will probably never see anything but paper. But hey, it's just an excuse to start another project
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As far as the dot looking like a "bunch of grapes", I just don't see it.  It's not perfectly round, maybe more square shaped, but small and the lower the intensity level, the smaller it appears.  And I'm not sure what the hell that guy was doing with his gun that he broke the mount!  It's a huge, solid mount that you would have to beat someone with to break it.  There is no way in hell he broke it shooting.  If he did, he got a lemon.

The dot appears to be hit or miss. Some are perfect, some are pretty jacked up. Mines not terrible, it's just distracting. The dot is still pretty clear, and like yours, it becomes more defined the lower the setting. As far as the mount breaking, the only way I could see that happening is if the rifle was dropped. It's pretty solid, but the base is still rather short compared to some other 30mm mounts.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as the dot looking like a "bunch of grapes", I just don't see it.  It's not perfectly round, maybe more square shaped, but small and the lower the intensity level, the smaller it appears.  And I'm not sure what the hell that guy was doing with his gun that he broke the mount!  It's a huge, solid mount that you would have to beat someone with to break it.  There is no way in hell he broke it shooting.  If he did, he got a lemon.

The dot appears to be hit or miss. Some are perfect, some are pretty jacked up. Mines not terrible, it's just distracting. The dot is still pretty clear, and like yours, it becomes more defined the lower the setting. As far as the mount breaking, the only way I could see that happening is if the rifle was dropped. It's pretty solid, but the base is still rather short compared to some other 30mm mounts.

The only time I notice the "grape cluster" is when I am focusing on the dot itself, with a target that is only 10-20 feet away.  However, once you stop focusing on the dot itself and look "through the dot" at what you are aiming at, all is well.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Ordered myself the SPARC last night from joebob. They're selling for $179.99 with free shipping. Hopefully it'll be as good good as it sounds.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ordered myself the SPARC last night from joebob. They're selling for $179.99 with free shipping. Hopefully it'll be as good good as it sounds.

I have used one before and you will probably be happy with it. I almost bought one, but it has on/off and brightness settings just like the strikefire.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're going to enjoy it.  Have fun . . . now all you need is one of these . . .

Larue LT660HK
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The sight itself is OK but the mount is not really up to par (I broke mine real extra good.)  You might consider a better QD style mount from LaRue or Bobro or whoever you like.

Why spend $300 on a strikefire + larue mount when you can get an aimpoint PRO with the QRPII mount for $410
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth the money, though.

Not to insult your intelligence, please excuse the question, but are you sure you are installing the doubler properly?  I had a problem with mine similar to the one you are describing until I figured out that I was not actually screwing the doubler into the threaded portion of the eyepiece.  The rubber eyepiece with the cap on it is about the same size as the doubler threads and I had to push the threads past the rubber part to get it to start screwing into the actual optic.  Forgive me if you were already doing this, just thought I would throw that out there.

Nuke

The doubler sucks terribly.  It impedes your vision more than anything... it is completely worthless and I would suggest throwing it away immediately before you are tempted to stick it on your rifle and get the impression that the optic you just bought is a low quality POS when the red dot itself is actually pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree, there's not much use for the doubler. The only thing I could see it being used for is stationary targets at the range.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top