Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2016 9:33:05 AM EDT
If you're using the Vortex Razor 1-6x, you'll know how fun it can be to crank that stiff zoom lever. Well, it turns out that it's really easy to fix!  This video takes you through the steps to do the fix. You will need to take the scope out of the mount and re-zero, though, as I found I didn't have enough room to slide that sleeve forward.

https://www.facebook.com/HunterCayllNubs/videos/561142134064330/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Just tried this on my Razor HD gen2 1-6. Wow! Definitely a huge improvement. The OCD in me is slightly worried about increased wear on the o-rings now, but the practical side of me knows the ease of operation is way worth the small risk of ever wearing those out from normal use. Though I did just throw my switchview back and forth like 20 times because of how fun it is now...

Thank you for this!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind, when you remove the mag ring, you're opening up the scope to allow the Argon gas to escape and for moist air to enter... leading to fogging issues.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you're using the Vortex Razor 1-6x, you'll know how fun it can be to crank that stiff zoom lever. Well, it turns out that it's really easy to fix!  This video takes you through the steps to do the fix. You will need to take the scope out of the mount and re-zero, though, as I found I didn't have enough room to slide that sleeve forward.

https://www.facebook.com/HunterCayllNubs/videos/561142134064330/
View Quote

You should post this in the Vortex industry forum and see what they think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting that! I saw their response this morning so am reposting it here:

Essentially it is the correct way to do it, but you have to be very careful because you're exposing the interior of the scope and risk losing the argon purging. You NEED to make sure that the objective lens is facing DOWNWARD when you slide the mag ring back. This will ensure you don't lose purging. Otherwise, we're happy to do that right here at Vortex and replace the grease with a different type that makes the ring easier to turn. We generally recommend that shooters just get ahold of us to do this, but if it is an emergency it's fine to do it yourself. Just know that if done improperly you increase the risk of letting dust particles in the scope, and fogging.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting that! I saw their response this morning so am reposting it here:

Essentially it is the correct way to do it, but you have to be very careful because you're exposing the interior of the scope and risk losing the argon purging. You NEED to make sure that the objective lens is facing DOWNWARD when you slide the mag ring back. This will ensure you don't lose purging. Otherwise, we're happy to do that right here at Vortex and replace the grease with a different type that makes the ring easier to turn. We generally recommend that shooters just get ahold of us to do this, but if it is an emergency it's fine to do it yourself. Just know that if done improperly you increase the risk of letting dust particles in the scope, and fogging.
View Quote

Thank you for passing along this clarification!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You NEED to make sure that the objective lens is facing DOWNWARD when you slide the mag ring back.
View Quote

Can someone explain how this will help against losing the argon purging?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You NEED to make sure that the objective lens is facing DOWNWARD when you slide the mag ring back.

It sounds like it has something to do with the fact that these scopse are Argon purged. Due to the fact that Argon is a heavier element then Nitrogen or Oxogen (the two primary elements that make up air) Gravity prevents the Argon from spilling out. This is similar to when you hold a cup the right way up and gravity prevents the water from spilling out.

My concern with this technique is that I am unsure if the Argon is under any form of pressure. If the Argon is pressurized then some will escape regardless of how it held.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top