Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2004 5:28:48 PM EDT
Should the vortex be timed at any certain point or does it matter other than just looks?
TIA
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.Thanks for the help.
I peeled one layer off the peel washer and got it touching the muzzle and peel washer when torqued as per the directions.
The ports are at about 10,2,4 and 8.Got a finger at the top and the bottom and the flats for the wrench are on the sides.Perfect to me.
Very nice when compared to the standard A2 FH.Huge improvement.
Now to install the ambi safety and Im good to go.Wish my Hogue grip would get here.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't even need a washer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The Vortex I got is in a Bushmaster/Quality Parts Co. package...the dealer has had it for awhile.Got it cheap so I could not resist.
It has the two grooves cut in the rear for the blank firing device or whatever just like the A2 FH,and four right hand twist flutes.
I tried the Vortex without a peel washer and it bottomed out on the muzzle with about .109" or so gap before it met the shoulder on the barrel.It states you must use the lock or peel washer...came with a peel washer.
With a new peel washer it was just a hair from contacting the muzzle and did not time to suit me.So I peeled one layer off the peel washer and it timed the way I wanted it...once torqued is touching the muzzle and peel washer.
I did not use the blue locktite as recommended as I did not feel it was needed.
Looks great though.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
C_J,

Washers are a requirement to prevent the FS from loosening. A lock (split) washer makes more sense for a Vortex but peel and crush washers work.

Blankwaffe98,

What model of Vortex is it?

Hmm, I was thinking permanently attached. My bad.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The one I have is slightly beefier at the base of the fingers than the ones pictured.But it does look to be thicker at the outer ends of the fingers than at the base of the fingers near the threads due to the way the flutes are cut and the way they twist to the right.There is not a cut at the base of the fingers...its actually machined so that the inside of the fingers are curved at the base and ends at the machined ring at the center of the bore.
One of these days I will learn to read all the FAQ.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
C_J,

Washers are a requirement to prevent the FS from loosening. A lock (split) washer makes more sense for a Vortex but peel and crush washers work.

Blankwaffe98,

I have a Smith Vortex G6 and the instructions emphasize that NO washer is to be used.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
C_J,

Blankwaffe98,

I have a Smith Vortex G6 and the instructions emphasize that NO washer is to be used.

Apparently I have an older model...or its a copy made by Bushmaster.One of the two.
It came with a peel washer and the Quality Parts/Bushy instructions specifically state to use it.Without the peel washer the Vortex bottoms out on the muzzle leaving about a peel washer thickness gap from the rear of the vortex to the barrel shoulder.
Peeled one layer off the peel washer and it contacts the muzzle and shoulder as directed in the instructions.Fits like a glove.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
C_J,

Blankwaffe98,

Apparently I have an older model...or its a copy made by Bushmaster.One of the two.
It came with a peel washer and the Quality Parts/Bushy instructions specifically state to use it.Without the peel washer the Vortex bottoms out on the muzzle leaving about a peel washer thickness gap from the rear of the vortex to the barrel shoulder.
Peeled one layer off the peel washer and it contacts the muzzle and shoulder as directed in the instructions.Fits like a glove.
Raymond

The new one I have has a small space inside the FH with no threads so it would be like a skirt around the barrel which would conceal any gap. I hope I explained it clear enough.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top