Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2010 11:08:28 PM EDT
Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire and Viper Quality Differences.  This scope will be for my S+W mp15 optics ready.

What is the quality difference between these?   Crossfire has Nitrogen and Viper has Argon but from the optics forums I have read they do not believe that matters.  About a $76 dollar difference.
http://www.opticstalk.com/nitrogen-vs-argon-filled_topic17237_page1.html

=====

Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 Riflescope V-Plex Reticle CRF-02-PLEX w/ FREE UPS  Sale Price$104.00  Free Shipping*
http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescopes-crf-02-plex.html

=====

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope  $169.95 (about $10 to ship).
http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx

=====

I am new to scopes above the low quality and just bought this from swfa  for my Romanian PSL  (GREAT reviews)
Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope  $99.95
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

Thanks to the posters in this forum who pointed me to this!

=====

Both Vortex's have the Unlimited Transferable Warranty.  What makes the Viper more valuable?
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the Crossfire is made in China. I believe Vortex recommends it for 22lr guns.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.  I just ordered the Viper 2-7x.  It's usually a $160 more than the Crossfire, but because of the discontinuing discount, it's only $70 more.  So, I would say, the Viper is not only going to be a better quality, but also better value.  If you get the Crossfire you may have regrets not paying a little more for the higher model.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I believe the Crossfire is made in China. I believe Vortex recommends it for 22lr guns.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.  I just ordered the Viper 2-7x.  It's usually a $160 more than the Crossfire, but because of the discontinuing discount, it's only $70 more.  So, I would say, the Viper is not only going to be a better quality, but also better value.  If you get the Crossfire you may have regrets not paying a little more for the higher model.

slowxturtle - I appreciate the time and effort on the response.  Thanks!  

I agree that the Viper is better than the Crossfire...  but I do not have any data or specs on why it is better and higher quality (except that the price is higher and when you pay more you get more the majority of the time but not all of the time).  

Am new to Ar15s.  Have been on old battle rifles for 5 years.  

I have searched google and am performing due diligence by asking this question on the forums.   Example of my due diligence for my AR15 purchase is here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=509050

Just to clarify - i was wondering which exact features make the Viper a better scope technically and quality wise?  

In the end... I will probably buy the Viper due to Arfcommer's knowledge and comments on these forums
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Crossfire 2-7x32

Optical Features

Fully Multi-Coated LensesIncrease light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.

Construction Features

One-Inch TubeStandard tube diameter for most American riflescopes.
One-Piece TubeMaximizes strength and waterproofness.
Aircraft-Grade AluminumPremium grade of aluminum, valued for fatigue resistance.
Low Capped TurretsIs less susceptible to accidental impact damage.
Fast Focus EyepieceAllows quick and easy reticle focusing.
Reset TurretsAllow re-indexing of the turret housing to zero after sighting in the riflescope—generally requires use of a coin or wrench.
WaterproofOptics are sealed with O-rings to prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the binocular.
FogproofBarrels are filled with nitrogen gas to inhibit internal fogging.

Viper 2-7x32

Optical Features

XR Lens CoatingsVortex XR proprietary anti-reflection lens coatings increase light
transmission with multiple coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.
XD Lens ElementsExtra-low dispersion (XD) glass enhances resolution, color, and contrast.
Fully Multi-Coated LensesIncrease light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.

sighting in the riflescope—re-index with fingers alone (no tool needed).

argon gas to inhibit internal fogging.

Construction Features

One-Inch TubeStandard tube diameter for most American riflescopes.
One-Piece TubeMaximizes strength and waterproofness.
Aircraft-Grade AluminumPremium grade of aluminum, valued for fatigue resistance.
Precision-Force Spring SystemUses premium components in the erector-spring system, ensuring maximum repeatability and ease of adjustment.
Precision-Glide Erector SystemUses premium components in the zoom lens mechanism, ensuring smooth magnification changes under the harshest conditions.
MAG-View Bar

Much better glass, better coatings, better springs & erector, etc. At the current price, the Viper would be very hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Much better glass, better coatings, better springs & erector, etc. At the current price, the Viper would be very hard to beat.[/quote]

===================================

Rangar - thanks for the response and info!  

I will order the viper right now!  
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice job, Ranger.

597, Post some pictures of your Viper when you get it.  I will do the same.  Mine comes in Tuesday :).
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I truly appreciate the help everyone has given me.

bought it tonite  

chose  Versa-Plex C3 reticle allows quick and easy target acuisition at closer distances while still maintaining precision at a distance  

final costs:

VPRM02G4 Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope1$169.95
137K Butler Creek Lens Caps Kit1$15.95
Tax: $10.31
Shipping and Handling:$11.06 (with insurance)
Total: $213.21

will photo and report on.  this is most expensive scope I have ever bought.   My sks's, yugo mauser and mosin's were all under $100 and the Remington 597 I have used to go on sale with a $30 rebate for $99 about 5 years ago.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
bought the viper 2x7x32 and crossfire 6x24x50.  will post photos later.

very happy with both.  viper on my 4 week old sw mp15 optical ready.  crossfire on the romanian psl.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The Crossfire doesn't even come close to the Viper, especially in less than ideal conditions.  We were shooting a Savage in .17HMR this past Sunday and I quit shooting the rifle because I hated looking through that Crossfire scope.

The Crossfire has Chinese glass in it.  The Viper has Japanese glass in it with better coatings.  Looking through both side by side, the difference is as clear as day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 2-7 viper and its a hell of a good little scope.  You will be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a 2-7 viper and its a hell of a good little scope.  You will be very happy with it.

Bought my ar15  maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago and installed the 2-7 viper.   Set to 2x last nite and ran thru training exercise around house with BOTH eyes open to see if 2x would work and I think it did great.  I do not have buis.  
=====
Did these ready up drills (excerpt below).

LESSON 1- Ready up drills are the building block for effective short range rapid engagement shooting techniques, and can be done alone at any range allowing rapid (accurate fire) at 25m.
1. Before you even go to the range, you can practice your technique at home. Dry firing will not harm your AR, and dry firing is a key element of training. It establishes muscle memory and gets you comfortable with specific motions.
=====
Will test at range on Saturday.  I didnt know how a 2x scope would work but I think it will do great with both eyes open.  

Maybe I am wrong but I will learn.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Crossfire doesn't even come close to the Viper, especially in less than ideal conditions.  We were shooting a Savage in .17HMR this past Sunday and I quit shooting the rifle because I hated looking through that Crossfire scope.

The Crossfire has Chinese glass in it.  The Viper has Japanese glass in it with better coatings.  Looking through both side by side, the difference is as clear as day.

The crossfire 6x24x50  was $99 and might not be close to the viper but I am happy with it because it is better than what I had before on my PSL and if I dont like it I can pull it off and buy something else.  Was 70% off and value vs dollar was good buy.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx  guys on the reviews say great stuff about it.

viper 2x7x32 at 164 was most expensive scope I have ever purchased.  is a great scope.

I made a 400 yard turtle shot with my Barska 6x20x50 on my savage 223 accutrigger and wolf hp on labor day.  Barska is not good or great but it did the job.  Wolf HP is not good or great but it did the job.  

When I get a chance on another 400 yard turtle shot next summer I will setup my cheap digital camera to record thru my $50 barska spotting 20x60 spotting scope the turtle hit.  I use this setup to record my iron sight shooting and it does the job at a value vs dollar, field expedient price.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top