Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2018 3:01:32 PM EDT
What should the proper torque specs be for mounting a Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II into a larue lt-204? I've heard mixed things.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Vortex recommends 18 inch pounds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
That is exactly how I did mine.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the reply. I called this morning to Vortex, but the gentleman didn't seem too confident in his answer of 20 top then 25 bottom.... Glad you clarified. Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Torque only the bottoms down first to 18 inch pounds without even touching the tops aside from maybe just starting the screws. Once bottoms are torqued to 18, then go to the tops and torque those to 18 and don't use Loc-Tite on any of the screws. Hope this helps! - Jimmy H [email protected]
View Quote
Thank you for the reply. I called this morning to Vortex, but the gentleman didn't seem too confident in his answer of 20 top then 25 bottom.... Glad you clarified. Thank you!

Why no loctite?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Loc-Tite will give a false reading to your torque wrench (That's probably not the proper technical way to describe it) but basically, it lubricates the threads. This means when you set your torque wrench to 18 inch pounds and it cams over, the screw will have actually gone in to a point that is applying a higher amount of torque than the torque wrench indicates. We've tested this and seen it go as high as 25 inch pounds, which is significantly over our recommended values and more than enough to cause problems in tracking, maintaining zero, etc.

Hope this helps!
View Quote
Thanks for the explanation! Would you have any worry of screws backing out without using Loc-Tite?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If you find the coefficient of friction for the thread locker you want you could calculate a torque spec.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the explanation! Would you have any worry of screws backing out without using Loc-Tite?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loc-Tite will give a false reading to your torque wrench (That's probably not the proper technical way to describe it) but basically, it lubricates the threads. This means when you set your torque wrench to 18 inch pounds and it cams over, the screw will have actually gone in to a point that is applying a higher amount of torque than the torque wrench indicates. We've tested this and seen it go as high as 25 inch pounds, which is significantly over our recommended values and more than enough to cause problems in tracking, maintaining zero, etc.

Hope this helps!
Definitely not, I've never had any optic mount bolts come loose, or any torqued bolts for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top