Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:50:38 PM EDT
This is the best time of the year: the watermelons are here!

Watermelon vs. Beowulf video
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]

That was beautiful.

Damn I need mine to get here NOW!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I know what you mean I had to wait a couple of months for mine.  It will come, it will come.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
God I need a beowulf
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool video, thanks for posting it!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool! I bet them woods smell good.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]
what loads were used for that!!!

man that was one bada$$ video!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
This was 325gr hollowpoint. We have watermelon shoot every summer. In the past we've used M193 55gr .223 round, which yields an impressive "explosion" with melon pieces flying around. However, it is nothing compared to Beowulf. As you saw on the video, the melon just about vaporizes. There are no individual pieces, just spray and mist. This was somewhat unexpected, I thought that the .50 cal bullet would just punch a neat hole and go straight through. I had my .223 AR as a backup with us but we didn't end up using it... I guess that it must be the pressure wave of the 325gr slug that causes the melon to blow up that spectacularly. Btw, we also tried shooting other objects, such as pressure treated wood and logs. However, we just couldn't find anything that would have challenged Beowulf. No matter how thick a log we tried, the .50 cal round went straight through.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know what you mean I had to wait a couple of months for mine.  It will come, it will come.

Please tell me that after the  9+ weeks  that I've been waiting I won't be disappointed.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Must get beowulf.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet! We thought we would pass on the "fruit shoot" this time around. Now I'm convinced otherwise! hoot
Hope to have some video of my own to share soon. hty.gif

- Joe
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Very cool vid , Thx . And to all of you waiting on your Wulf you won't be disapointed believe me it is bad to the bone ! I love mine .
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Great video!
The watermelon never had a chance!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#15]
That was a sweet video those Beowulf's are impressive indeed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
If kinetic energy means nothing when it comes to terminal ballistics, then why do the watermelons explode?  Is it not from the transfer/deposit of KE?  If KE means nothing, wouldn't the Beowolf simply put a 50 cal hole through the WM?

I am seriously asking, as I consider myself a years-long student of ballistics...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Do it for the watermelons.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
325 gr. hollowpoint. OMG
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Do it for the watermelons.

LOL
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Really impressive!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If kinetic energy means nothing when it comes to terminal ballistics, then why do the watermelons explode?  Is it not from the transfer/deposit of KE?  If KE means nothing, wouldn't the Beowolf simply put a 50 cal hole through the WM?

I am seriously asking, as I consider myself a years-long student of ballistics...

I too was wondering that.

My only conclusion is that watermelon(apptly named)is so full of water that when that much pressure is applied to it so incredibly fast it explodes because the water has no where to go....maybe
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#22]
sweet     im gonna go get some watermelons off hwy 6 tom
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My only conclusion is that watermelon(apptly named)is so full of water that when that much pressure is applied to it so incredibly fast it explodes because the water has no where to go....maybe

Well see, that is the what is reffered to as "hydrostatic shock" in the ballistics world; except the theory revolves around the 75%+ water in a human cell that has no where to go except out from the pressure causing the cellar membrane to rupture.  But many people who I respect on this site say there is no such thing and all the matter is the size of the crush cavity unless a projectile hits a non-elastic organ such as the liver, it  is only then when the temporary wound cavity has any value.

But I just don't agree.  A 38spl and a .357 mag have the exact same bullet diameter, so one could extrapolate that thier wounding/lethality potential would be the same; this is if one was to obide by the KE doesn't matter only crush cavity crew.  But anybody who has shot an animal or anything for that matter with these rounds knows that this is not the case.  Some Rockchucks I shot in Utah got absolutely obliterated by a 158 SWC 357, where as the Chucks I shot with the 38 158 SWC (same projectile) got dead.  The wounds were uncomparable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well see, that is the what is reffered to as "hydrostatic shock" in the ballistics world; except the theory revolves around the 75%+ water in a human cell that has no where to go except out from the pressure causing the cellar membrane to rupture.  But many people who I respect on this site say there is no such thing and all the matter is the size of the crush cavity unless a projectile hits a non-elastic organ such as the liver, it  is only then when the temporary wound cavity has any value.

But I just don't agree.  A 38spl and a .357 mag have the exact same bullet diameter, so one could extrapolate that thier wounding/lethality potential would be the same; this is if one was to obide by the KE doesn't matter only crush cavity crew.  But anybody who has shot an animal or anything for that matter with these rounds knows that this is not the case.  Some Rockchucks I shot in Utah got absolutely obliterated by a 158 SWC 357, where as the Chucks I shot with the 38 158 SWC (same projectile) got dead.  The wounds were uncomparable.

Interesting stuff thanks! Sound like I had the basic principle down hehe just not in so many fancy words .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Out of curiosity, what was the range to the unfortunate watermellon ?

RGUARD
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Go back to that spot next year and eat some of those watermelons that grow.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's foolish to take ANY factor and say "that doesn't matter" when talking about terminal ballistics.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#28]
El Camino, what do you think then?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Out of curiosity, what was the range to the unfortunate watermellon ?

This was in the woods, I'd estimate that the range was 60-70 yards.

Sounds like the hydrostatic shock would pretty well explain the explosion, which was a complete surprise to me. I expected only neat entry and exit holes because the melon is so soft that it definetely wouldn't cause the hollopoint to mushroom at all. Beowuld would probably do well with one gallon water jugs, too
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
El Camino, what do you think then?

Well, I think that lots of things factor into how big of a wound a bullet makes in a living thing.  I don't think velocity and KE are the only factors - but I don't think they're a good thing to be ignored, either.

It seems to pass the "common sense test" that getting beaned with a 40mph baseball hurts less than an 80mph baseball.  Velocity of a projectile does make a difference, if that KE can be transferred to the target (in the case of a bullet) before it exits the other side.  In any case, the energy will not enough to physically knock anyone down, but applied to sensitive internal organs could cause fatal damage quite easily I would think.

Also, I'll chime in and say that I think gelatin is a good platform for comparing performance between 2 bullets, but it's a bad way to try and predict what effects a bullet will have on a creature.  Critters of the 2 and 4 legged variety have a lot of bones, organs, veins, arteries, etc - many of which, if damaged or destroyed, can drop a critter like a sack of rocks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#31]

That would make a real mess of this melon-->            
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I will not be able to validate the concept till I get home from Iraq but I think my 454 Casull will do the same thing to a melon coming out of my 16" model 92 carbine.  If I am wrong and someone can show what my gun would do I will not have to wait till summer of 2006.  
Thanks and pray for our Soldiers
On point for World-Wide Freedom.
Very Respectfully,
David
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top