Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2004 5:59:46 PM EDT
For some unknown reason I decided to reconfigure a bunch of my rifles about 11 days ago.  his
It was my first AR (I didn't know any better).  Here are the specs:
-All factory BFI 16" postban Vmatch
-Fluted 1/9 chrome-lined HBAR w/ aluminum free-float tube -- subsequently drilled/tapped for sling stud to connect Harris bipod.
-bare muzzle, shaved FSB w/o FH
-BFI 2-stage trigger (same as Compass Lake unit IIRC)
-4x16x BSA Mil-dot scope

It's always been a great shooter, and does well as a mid-range (100-500M) precision rifle.  But it doesn't get much use in that role since I got my 700P a couple of years ago.

I have other ARs configured as follows: A) 14.5" 1/7 M4 -- BFI upper, RRA lower w/ telestock & CompM2 (my "working" rifle);  B) 20" 1/12 Franken-AR faux XM-16E1 (mostly used as a semi-dedicated 22lr); C) 16" Colt 9mm upper on RRA lower w/ telestock.

Note the absense of a traditional 20" A2/3/4.  See note above about not knowing any better.

Here are the options I'm considering for the vMatch:
1) Leave as-is, but have the muzzle threaded for a FH
2) Thread muzzle, install flip-up front sight.  Swap between glass and irons as I see fit.
3) Buy complete 1/7 gov't profile no-ban A2 upper and swap uppers as I see fit.
4) replace barrel/float tube with 1/7 gov't profile bbl assembly/handguards.  Save vMatch barrel and float tube for TBD future project

I'm leaning toward option 4, but welcome your suggestions.

Thanks,
SC
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It's your choice. It sounds like you already have your mind made up. I like the option of just getting a new upper and save the other for another rifle or for a spare.
Option #5 get rid of the BSA-replace with leupold -be happy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's your choice. It sounds like you already have your mind made up. I like the option of just getting a new upper and save the other for another rifle or for a spare.
Option #5 get rid of the BSA-replace with leupold -be happy.

I found a decent deal on a 20" 1/7 gov't profile barrel yesterday.  Now I have to decide if I should buy a new upper for it, or pull the barrel of the vMatch upper and just shelve it for now.

I admit the BSA is an "interim solution."  It's not bad for the money, but I wouldn't mind having some nicer glass.  There are just other things higher on the list at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top