Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/24/2004 4:59:46 PM EST
For some unknown reason I decided to reconfigure a bunch of my rifles about 11 days ago. his
It was my first AR (I didn't know any better). Here are the specs:
-All factory BFI 16" postban Vmatch
-Fluted 1/9 chrome-lined HBAR w/ aluminum free-float tube -- subsequently drilled/tapped for sling stud to connect Harris bipod.
-bare muzzle, shaved FSB w/o FH
-BFI 2-stage trigger (same as Compass Lake unit IIRC)
-4x16x BSA Mil-dot scope

It's always been a great shooter, and does well as a mid-range (100-500M) precision rifle. But it doesn't get much use in that role since I got my 700P a couple of years ago.

I have other ARs configured as follows: A) 14.5" 1/7 M4 -- BFI upper, RRA lower w/ telestock & CompM2 (my "working" rifle); B) 20" 1/12 Franken-AR faux XM-16E1 (mostly used as a semi-dedicated 22lr); C) 16" Colt 9mm upper on RRA lower w/ telestock.

Note the absense of a traditional 20" A2/3/4. See note above about not knowing any better.

Here are the options I'm considering for the vMatch:
1) Leave as-is, but have the muzzle threaded for a FH
2) Thread muzzle, install flip-up front sight. Swap between glass and irons as I see fit.
3) Buy complete 1/7 gov't profile no-ban A2 upper and swap uppers as I see fit.
4) replace barrel/float tube with 1/7 gov't profile bbl assembly/handguards. Save vMatch barrel and float tube for TBD future project

I'm leaning toward option 4, but welcome your suggestions.

Thanks,
SC
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:43:14 PM EST
It's your choice. It sounds like you already have your mind made up. I like the option of just getting a new upper and save the other for another rifle or for a spare.
Option #5 get rid of the BSA-replace with leupold -be happy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:18:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By hispeedal2:
It's your choice. It sounds like you already have your mind made up. I like the option of just getting a new upper and save the other for another rifle or for a spare.
Option #5 get rid of the BSA-replace with leupold -be happy.

I found a decent deal on a 20" 1/7 gov't profile barrel yesterday. Now I have to decide if I should buy a new upper for it, or pull the barrel of the vMatch upper and just shelve it for now.

I admit the BSA is an "interim solution." It's not bad for the money, but I wouldn't mind having some nicer glass. There are just other things higher on the list at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback.
Top Top