Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 6:24:57 PM EDT
Ok I've been meaning to get an AR and pretty much have it narrowed down to a few choices but really don't know anything about ARs. I just want a standard post ban decent ar. I've pretty much narrowed it down to bushmaster and rock river as I've read good stuff about them. How important is a chrome lined barrel? Is it worth the extra $? What are the things I definitely want to get/not get? I *think I found a site with good pricing on rock rivers (the best I've found so far at least) but I really have no idea as to what the difference is between Tactical Car A4 or a entry tactical or a car a2 (except the a2 is 3/4 of a inch shorter).
http://ordnanceoutsellers.com/rraindex.htm
or how good the prices are.

I think I might head on down to the local fun shop the weekend and compare/look around or maybe wait for the fun show at the end of the month. I Really appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok I've been meaning to get an AR and pretty much have it narrowed down to a few choices but really don't know anything about ARs. I just want a standard post ban decent ar. I've pretty much narrowed it down to bushmaster and rock river as I've read good stuff about them. How important is a chrome lined barrel? Is it worth the extra $? What are the things I definitely want to get/not get? I *think I found a site with good pricing on rock rivers (the best I've found so far at least) but I really have no idea as to what the difference is between Tactical Car A4 or a entry tactical or a car a2 (except the a2 is 3/4 of a inch shorter).
http://ordnanceoutsellers.com/rraindex.htm
or how good the prices are.

I think I might head on down to the local fun shop the weekend and compare/look around or maybe wait for the fun show at the end of the month. I Really appreciate the help!

Chrome lined - it depends.  I have it on one rifle, and do not have it on another.  I have an upper on backorder that is also chrome lined.  The big plus, from what I have heard, is that the chrome lining makes the barrel more durable.  I always wanted chrome lined barrels on my commie 7.62x39 guns, because a lot of the older ammo was steel cased, steel jacketed, and corrosive.  Ammo for your AR-15 is more than likely going to be non-corrosive and copper/brass jacketed, while your ammo may or may not be steel cased depending on what you go with.  Another thing I have read is that the non-chrome lined barrels are sligtly more accurate than the chrome lined ones, yet in practice, both of my current guns are more accurate than I am anyway.

As for price, you are on your own.  I only purchased one complete AR and built the other.  From here on out, all future AR-15s will be assembled by yours truly at a slight to substantial savings by ordering the parts.

I would suggest taking an up close and personal look at some of the various AR-15s at a local fun shop.  It is hard to tell what will meet your needs without actually putting your hands on it and shouldering the rifle.  Personally, I hate rails and verticle grips, yet you may feel right at home with that setup.

Finally, welcome to black rifle disease.  It is a never ending sickness for which there is no cure.

ETA:  Ordinance outsellers appears to have some good prices.  They are much better than what dealers around my neck of the woods charge for complete rifles.  Just make sure you find a decent FFL who will transfer it to you without screwing you over on the transfer fee.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a heads up. I'm not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience with O/O, but I had a bad one. They had a lower receiver on thier site and on Guns America at the lowest prices I had seen anywhere. Well, when I contacted them about buying one I was told that they didn't have any more & would not have any more a that price. I'm not sure what the deal was, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Just be cautious.

BTW, there are several dealers here that have great prices on RRA & you won't have to worry about whether or not they are legit. Try Legal Transfers, Adco, or rainierarms in the Industry section.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
BTW, there are several dealers here that have great prices on RRA & you won't have to worry about whether or not they are legit. Try Legal Transfers, Adco, or rainierarms in the Industry section.

This is good advice, dermofo.

If you are determined to get the RRA, get it from one of those guys, or from Knesekguns.com

I strongly recommend the A3/A4 version (flat-top) since it is the preferred configuration by more than 20-1 (new sales) and opens up future options to you.

Knesekguns has the mid-length  RRA in A4 for only $750 (brand spanking new) shipped to your local FFL holder.

That is hard to beat and the mid-length guns have had some rave reviews!!

HTH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top