Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 5:06:57 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy are people getting from their Varminters?  I've had one for 2 months now, and it's been a mother to get groups under 1" with five shots at 100 yds -- that's with a Leupold 6.5-20 on it. It hasn't liked factory Remington, Winchester, or Black Hills ammo.   Finally, after numerous powder and bullet combos, I have stumbled onto some handloads that show promise of keeping within 1/2".  Am I the only one with this experience?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a WOA 22" varmit upper on a rra lower (2 stage).  Properly secured in sand bags it will shoot most ammo into 3/4" groups.  My handloads go into 1/2 - 3/4 " groups consistenly and   every so often shoot a 1/4-3/8" " group.  It is hands down the most accurate rifle I have ever owned....and I've owned a bunch of them......including a 40X Remingotn.  

But, it has to be in the sand bags....it won't shoot that well off the bipod.  

Bob
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]

My varminter is a RRA upper 24" 1/12 twist for the lightweight bullets.

It's on a stag arms lower with a WOA Tuned RRA two stage trigger.

Scope is a Leupie 6.5-20x40 with the varminters recticle in it.

Harris bi-pod with the much needed pod lock.

It shoots pretty well with almost all ammo.  The only ammo I have found it doesn't like is some from Remmington.  It's nice to have a rifle that will shoot just about anything decently.  Makes running out of ammo harder

Couple pictures of two groups I shot.  These were some of the better ones, but not unusual.  Both are 5 shot groups.

The lower right bullet is my fault.  It should have been closer in and closing up the group some.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
here are some of my groups

dont mind the other holes outside of the shoot 'n' see, the stickers were put on over the used targets.

100yds 5 shot groups

these groups i was using 68gr reman black hills

these  i was using federal american eagle 55gr.

and heres the rifle:     jt distributing varmit kit on bushie lower

20" 1x8 twist
10x42 ss scope
rra two stage tuned by woa with kns anti rotational pins

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]

NICE!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Usely 1/2" groups at a 100 yards,this is a old pix, i've added flip ups and a palm rest grip.

Using 62gr.

TG
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Gues I have gotten a little lucky.

I have a bushie varnimter upper on a regular bushie lower with a collapsable stock.

With blackhills 52gr match I was getting routine .25"-.5" groups  Always below 1" even with wind.

I have duplicated this with my handloaded hunting bullets.  Barnes 53gr xlc with 27gr of benchmark,

while developing this load I did see that groups could vary greatly  at 26.5 and at 27.5 both had groups over 1" while 27 had .25"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top