Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/6/2005 5:06:57 PM EDT
What kind of accuracy are people getting from their Varminters?  I've had one for 2 months now, and it's been a mother to get groups under 1" with five shots at 100 yds -- that's with a Leupold 6.5-20 on it. It hasn't liked factory Remington, Winchester, or Black Hills ammo.   Finally, after numerous powder and bullet combos, I have stumbled onto some handloads that show promise of keeping within 1/2".  Am I the only one with this experience?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:02:26 PM EDT
I have a WOA 22" varmit upper on a rra lower (2 stage).  Properly secured in sand bags it will shoot most ammo into 3/4" groups.  My handloads go into 1/2 - 3/4 " groups consistenly and   every so often shoot a 1/4-3/8" " group.  It is hands down the most accurate rifle I have ever owned....and I've owned a bunch of them......including a 40X Remingotn.  

But, it has to be in the sand bags....it won't shoot that well off the bipod.  

Bob
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:53:50 PM EDT

My varminter is a RRA upper 24" 1/12 twist for the lightweight bullets.

It's on a stag arms lower with a WOA Tuned RRA two stage trigger.

Scope is a Leupie 6.5-20x40 with the varminters recticle in it.

Harris bi-pod with the much needed pod lock.

It shoots pretty well with almost all ammo.  The only ammo I have found it doesn't like is some from Remmington.  It's nice to have a rifle that will shoot just about anything decently.  Makes running out of ammo harder

Couple pictures of two groups I shot.  These were some of the better ones, but not unusual.  Both are 5 shot groups.

The lower right bullet is my fault.  It should have been closer in and closing up the group some.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 3:28:32 PM EDT by eklikwhoa]
here are some of my groups

dont mind the other holes outside of the shoot 'n' see, the stickers were put on over the used targets.

100yds 5 shot groups

these groups i was using 68gr reman black hills

these  i was using federal american eagle 55gr.

and heres the rifle:     jt distributing varmit kit on bushie lower

20" 1x8 twist
10x42 ss scope
rra two stage tuned by woa with kns anti rotational pins

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:47:12 PM EDT

NICE!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 5:48:03 PM EDT by TexasGunman]
Usely 1/2" groups at a 100 yards,this is a old pix, i've added flip ups and a palm rest grip.

Using 62gr.

TG
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:07:10 PM EDT
Gues I have gotten a little lucky.

I have a bushie varnimter upper on a regular bushie lower with a collapsable stock.

With blackhills 52gr match I was getting routine .25"-.5" groups  Always below 1" even with wind.

I have duplicated this with my handloaded hunting bullets.  Barnes 53gr xlc with 27gr of benchmark,

while developing this load I did see that groups could vary greatly  at 26.5 and at 27.5 both had groups over 1" while 27 had .25"
Top Top