Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/5/2006 12:38:14 PM EDT
Hello all. I have been looking on here for a while. I actually found this site after buying a Bushmaster 20" A3 this fall, right before I shipped over seas with the military. Well since I have been on here, I have gotten the urge to get another AR when I get home, and I didn't even get to shoot the one that I have. Well now I also have my father-in-law talked into getting an AR as well. We are both looking to get some information and also some pictures of the set-ups that some of you have. We are both looking at the RRA 24" Varminter right now, but are open to suggestions.

I also could stand a bit of help with deciding what to get for an optic for such a set up.

I need to let you know what the father-in-law is looking for. He is getting his membership to the local gun club again, so he wants to get a new toy. He is really interested in accuracy and has the thoughts of the two of us going to shoot some prairie dogs when I get home.

Any information and pictures would be appreciated to fill my thurst for a new rifle. I am thinking about a Chrstmas present to myself hanks
SSG_453
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:47:44 PM EDT
Many here talk very highly of RRA Varmint A4 24"....ADCO has them for $900 which I understand is a very good price. It has the Wylde chamber which can shoot both 223 & 5.56 surplus ammo; however I'm not sure the same can be said about the Bushy Varminter & Predator since both have the SAAMI chambers. Might want to ask/email/call around about that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:08:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FMichael:
Many here talk very highly of RRA Varmint A4 24"....ADCO has them for $900 which I understand is a very good price. It has the Wylde chamber which can shoot both 223 & 5.56 surplus ammo; however I'm not sure the same can be said about the Bushy Varminter & Predator since both have the SAAMI chambers. Might want to ask/email/call around about that.

All Bushy's can shoot 5.56 or .223, they say so in their catalog and website as well.

I have had a varminter special (stainless 24") for about 3-4 yrs, right when they came out
(I think). I have had great luck with it. I shoot 1/2" at 100 yds with H322 and 55gr vmax.

This rifle is a tack driver. Many ppl I know look at it and say "ohh ,an AR, can't be as accurate as my (insert bolt action here)". To which I say "really, lets find out." the accuracy of this rifle is astonishing to me, I never thought any SA could be so accurate. I have a pic of mine equipped with a SS10x42M scope, looks pretty sweet with the PSG style grip that the stainless model comes with. Two stage comp trigger is also excellent. I am dumb/lazy and don't know where to upload it too.h.gif

JMHO
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:16:55 AM EDT
I have a DPMS 24" bbl upper on a RRA lower. And I love it shoots great. For optics up to about 300yds something in the 4-16,6-24 range for longer ranges 8-32. I think the 6-24 is best comprimise. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_43.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_44.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_42.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_40.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_41.jpg
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:51:13 AM EDT
first ar varminter for me: 16" m1sales upper, a-2 flash suppressor, stag lower, armalite internals, cabela's alaskan guide 6.5-20x44 scope, harris bipod, rra 6-position stock... shoots pretty well, and i have taken prairie dogs out to ~600 yards w/ it.

6-shots at 100 yards:

2nd ar varminter is a custom, and features a stag lower and 16" krieger 7-twist stainless barrel. i have done the scope-dance w/ this rifle, going from irons to sightron, and it now wears a leupold 4.5-14. i haven't had a chance to really wring it out yet on a dog town, but it shoots better than my first one, so i see no problems w/ it reaching 600 yards.

20 shots at 100 yards:

sorry, no pics w/ the leupold on the stainless ar. i just have an old pic of the 2 of them:

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:09:57 AM EDT

varminter upper stag lower PRS stock MAID grip Larue mount. 6.5-20x40 leupy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:13:16 PM EDT
Even though I love my RRA 24" Varmit, if I did it again, I would buy a 18" or 20" barrel. Here is a pic, SS 20X, Harris Bi-pod, SP1 lower, Jewell trigger:

Here is what it will do, when I do my part, with inexpensive WWB 45gr. "Varmit" (100 yds., 5shot group)

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:32:33 PM EDT

My BM Varminter.

I agree with the guy above who said if he had done it again he would have gotten a 18" or 20". I'm in the process of building the 18 now, but I will never get rid of this Varminter because it was my first AR.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 8:14:33 PM EDT by PRAIRIERAT]
My beloved 20" Varminter. Shooting starts June 14 on the national grasslands. Hope they are down there making lots of PD lovin!!

5 shot group 200 yards

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:13:54 PM EDT
Thank you for all of your responses. Why are some of you saying that you would get an 18-20" if you had to do it over again? I am just wondering, because a few years ago all that you could get for a varmint set-up was a 24".

Please keep the pictures and info coming. This is making my days a lot more enjoyable over here in the sand box. Gives me something to look forward to when I am off.

SSG_453
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:25:46 PM EDT
I'm putting in my order tomorrow for a RRA varmint but haven't decided on 18 or 20". Which is preferred if anyone has experience with both. It may come down to which one is in stock as it doesn't seem like there would be alot of difference either way.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:30:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:51:42 PM EDT
Bushy Varminter, GG&G rail & rings, Leupold VX-III 8.5x25x50

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:33:04 AM EDT
I would say that the 18" to 20" barrels would be easier carry and handle than the 24" barrel. But you do lose some velocity with the shorter barrels.If I could afford another one it would be ether a 20" barrel or 24" in a lighter profile barrel.Hope all this helps.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:46:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 5:47:16 AM EDT by LashLaRue]
Here's 1 I have alot of fun with. Cheap, accurate, very mobile, and dead on out to 500yrds which is as far as I have shot it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:00:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 6:02:47 AM EDT by SSG_453]
I am not overly concerned with the added weight and length of the 24" as far as carrying goes. But after the suggestion was made about possibly getting a 20", I talked to one of the guys that I am deployed with. He does a fair amount of reloading and also a bit of competetion shooting. He stated that the powder burn rates might yeild the best performance out of a 20" verses a 24". Does this have any merit?

Also I am still considering the RRA,but they don't offer fluting. Is there enough benefit from fluting to warrant getting a new rifle and sending it out to have it fluted?

ETA: I need some suggestions as far as bi-pods go. What brands, what styles, are they a huge benefit to have? And I could use more input about the optic choices too.

Keep the pics coming.

Thanks,
SSG_453
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:44:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LashLaRue:
Here's 1 I have alot of fun with. Cheap, accurate, very mobile, and dead on out to 500yrds which is as far as I have shot it.

img91.imageshack.us/img91/3276/0130060010hx.jpg

I love that oly bull barrel carbine. I'm buying a bushmaster vmatch carbine and that's EXACTLY how i'm gonna have it set up, except for scope and mount. Wondering what brand of collapsible stock your using?? Also, does the oly come with a front sling stud?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:46:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DJH-1:

Originally Posted By LashLaRue:

img91.imageshack.us/img91/3276/0130060010hx.jpg

I love that oly bull barrel carbine. I'm buying a bushmaster vmatch carbine and that's EXACTLY how i'm gonna have it set up, except for scope and mount. Wondering what brand of collapsible stock your using?? Also, does the oly come with a front sling stud?

Thanks

That's a gun I pieced together of the EE, mostly trading stuff I no longer used. The only thing new was the upper which is a M1S. It will shoot a nickel a day at 100yrds. The stock is a LMT I recieved in trade.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:34:40 PM EDT

Also I am still considering the RRA,but they don't offer fluting. Is there enough benefit from fluting to warrant getting a new rifle and sending it out to have it fluted?

Target rifle, right? No flutes. The heavier the rifle, the less the muzzle jump. Therefore, easier to see the impact through the high mag optic. Heat should not significantly affect the point of aim on the large diameter barrel you are considering. $ better spent on quality optic. Just my opinion.
Top Top