Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 4:42:58 PM EDT
Hey there, I'm getting a new AR and it's down to the Rock River Arms Varmint A4 or the Bushmaster V Match Rifle.  I'm getting the 24'' for 80-210 yard shots and was wondering if anyone had any tips or useful info on either gun or perhaps a picture, thanks a ton everyone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
So far I am pretty happy with my coyote rifle from RRA.  It weighs in at 8.4 pounds, and I would not want any thing heavier than that unless it was shot strictly from a rest. The fit and finish is nice, and I have already shot a .5" group after fire lapping the barrel.HO
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate making the decision... But I checked and their is a dealer who sells the RRA Varmint rifle with a fluted barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
I hate making the decision... But I checked and their is a dealer who sells the RRA Varmint rifle with a fluted barrel.
Wow, I like that, where did you find him?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is an RRA 24" Varmit I just got today

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that a bead blasted barrel?  I like it and have been debating getting either that upper or else the Bushmaster 24" Varminter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it is bead blasted.

Also that is a Hogue overmolded forearm, Ergo Ambi grip, RRA scout rail, Burris Xtreme rings (low), and a Leo 4.5 x 14 x 50 Mk4.

Trigger breaks clean at 3.5 pounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice man, but noone has answered the question
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Rock River predator and like it real well it is on the heavy side but it does real well on the sand bags

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a predator upper from RR on the way, soon I hope, what scope did you use.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nice man, but noone has answered the question

You are basically comparing a Wilson target barrel to a chrome lined HBAR.  The results at 200 yards are almost predictable.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my new RRA LAR-15 Varmint A4, 24" bull barrel, 1:8 twist (so I can shoot 62-80gr bullets), Ergo grip, Versa-Pod, Barska 6-24x44mm mil-dot scope -

and here's my first target after getting the scope sighted in - mostly.  

You'll have to forgive the target.  I had to dig it out of the trash for this display.  That's 5 rounds at 100 yds using my reloads - 60gr Hornady V-Max.  The barrel was JUST broken in.  Trigger was still stock - right outta the box, so to speak.  A little gritty and creepy.

RRA and some other barrel "experts" of my acquaintance said forget the fluting.  It looks cool, but for our purposes, it's a waste of time and money - and actually counterproductive.

I've worked on the trigger a little - smoothed it out considerably and reduced the trigger pull to about 3 1/2 to 4 lbs (my scales aren't real good).  Almost no creep and a very clean break.  This is since I shot the target above, so I hope to improve on it.

Not bad for a rookie (kinda) and about $1,000 total - just a smidgen over.  I predict that a number of prairie dogs are gonna meet their maker as a result of the above firearm.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here's my new RRA LAR-15 Varmint A4, 24" bull barrel, 1:8 twist (so I can shoot 62-80gr bullets), Ergo grip, Versa-Pod, Barska 6-24x44mm mil-dot scope -

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/KSplainsman/100_0250_edited.jpg

and here's my first target after getting the scope sighted in - mostly.  

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/KSplainsman/100_0264.jpg

You'll have to forgive the target.  I had to dig it out of the trash for this display.  That's 5 rounds at 100 yds using my reloads - 60gr Hornady V-Max.  The barrel was JUST broken in.  Trigger was still stock - right outta the box, so to speak.  A little gritty and creepy.

RRA and some other barrel "experts" of my acquaintance said forget the fluting.  It looks cool, but for our purposes, it's a waste of time and money - and actually counterproductive.

I've worked on the trigger a little - smoothed it out considerably and reduced the trigger pull to about 3 1/2 to 4 lbs (my scales aren't real good).  Almost no creep and a very clean break.  This is since I shot the target above, so I hope to improve on it.

Not bad for a rookie (kinda) and about $1,000 total - just a smidgen over.  I predict that a number of prairie dogs are gonna meet their maker as a result of the above firearm.

good shooting.  you guys with the nonventilated tubes may want to drill some holes in the bottem/sides.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top