Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 9:17:26 PM EDT
I have some various magazine questions. I only have 6 total mags and I want to do some quick research before buying more. I will need 4-5 more (30 rounders) within the next 3 weeks for a rifle training course. Rifle: RRA M4 Tac Entry LE w/ 6 Position Stock.

I would first like to talk about how hard/easy my mags fall from my rifle and also how hard/easy my mags 'lock' into the magwell. My two Colt 20 rounders both insert easily, lock into the magwell easily, and also fall out very easily once the mag release is pushed. However, I rarely use these for training and never carry these on duty.

I have two Sanchez mags (30s). One of these is rather hard to get to lock into the magwell and the other I literally have to pull out of the magwell. The one OKAY (30)I have locks in extremely well but is rather hessitant to  drop free.

The one mag my RRA came with both locks in and drops without any problems. This one looks like all my other USGI 30 round mags, but is just marked LE/GOVT/Military restricted on the mag body and the floorplate reads ".223 cal/5.56 mm NHMTG S/42 Hartford, CT".

Is there anything special to a LE marked lower that only LE/GOVT/Military restricted/marked mags work flawlessly on them? I can buy those great new H&K mags, but cannot afford to spend the $40 each on them right now to buy 5 mags. Should I try buying only Preban marked or LE/GOVT marked mags??

ALL the above mags 'function' 100%, just the insertion into the magwell and dropping out is the issue.

Thanks for any and all information.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do buy LEO restricted mags you can can only own them as long as you are an LEO.  Then you'd have to sell them or get rid of them by some other means.  If you have a vice you can play with the mags and usually get them to drop free.  Look on the EE and you should be able to find something.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok Understand  I'm anal and I never thought that this info would be useful to anyone but....I Have 2 RRA rifles and 54 30round USGI mags...Pretty much have all the makers covered,Colt,cooper,parsons,FN,labelle,okay,Sanchez, etc,etc,etc....And took the time to sit down and chart all the mags by maker and if they drop free or not...Anyway here are my findings:....All my colt and parsons mags drop free,most of my labelle,Sanchez and fn mags drop free(about a 80% drop free rate).Some of the Okay and Center ind mags drop free(about a 50% rate) and about a 30% rate on the Sanchez and coopers......Now keep in mind that I'm talking about MY lowers and MY mags so YMMV..If I ave a choice I usually look for parsons because colts are more money....Hope this helps...........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#4]
82_Airborne, yes I am a LEO. Like I said I can get a dept letter authorizing me to buy the H&K mags, but cannot spend $200 right now for 5 mags. There are plenty of other LEO is know which would buy the ristricted mags if/when I leave.

Underdog75, thanks for the stats, good info. Seriously. Wow, 54 magazines! I will try to find some good 30 round Parsons and/or 30 round Colts. Like I stated, my 20 round Colts function 100% flawlessly, but during loading and releasing. I just have no realy use for the 20s.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a good look at the SA-80 mags.  I bought a few and they all function 100% out of the box and all fit and fall free.  I did replace the followers and springs, but that was kind of a feel good move.  I see them all the time in the $15. to $20. range NIW.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi,

If it was me, I would buy new LE only mags, as they are new and you can get them for less money(except HK) then pre ban USGI mags.  You would have to give them up if you leave the PD and the hicap ban doesn't go away next year.  Next Sept. when the ban sunsets the LE mags will be legal for everyone to have, so you should be able to keep them.

FB
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi,

If it was me, I would buy new LE only mags, as they are new and you can get them for less money(except HK) then pre ban USGI mags.  You would have to give them up if you leave the PD and the hicap ban doesn't go away next year.  Next Sept. when the ban sunsets the LE mags will be legal for everyone to have, so you should be able to keep them.

What he said.....
The only risk to you is IF you leave law enforcement before the AWB sunsets, you would have to dispose of the mags to a dealer, or to another LEO (with a dept. letter of authorization). If you are still a LEO when the ban dies, you should be fine. If the ban doesn't sunset, you are still fine until/unless you leave law enforcement. If you make it to retirement, you can have the agency "gift" you with your own weapon & mags as a retirement perk.
FB
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top