Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2006 5:03:58 PM EDT
I'm sure I'm not the first the bring this up but a search yeilded nothing so I, here we are.  I am thinking about investing in one of thos vacuum packing/'Seal-a-meal' type machines and it occured to me that I could seal packs of ammo using it to keep it dry.  I was thinking of doing a few 'mini-battle packs' consisting of 30 rounds on stripper clips.  Then I could just open a pack and load magazine.  Any one else try this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
For what it's worth:

Loose ammo in sealed ammo cans will probably outlive you and vacuum packing isn't needed unless the ammo gets submerged under water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've sealed a couple 500 round cases of Lake City in the past, and some pre-loaded Glock mags.   I did it so I could store them in a not so dry basement without worry of moisture getting in.

The only real issue is padding any mags or ammo, as when you seal it, the plastic tends to cut into it and ruin the seal either while you're sealing it, or shortly thereafter.

Also-  Check the seals every few months,  most stay good, but you'll eventually find a small percentage that lose their seal.

I generally don't seal them with a super strong vacumn, as I worry a little about pushing bullets back into the cases if the box really seals tight and the box compresses, which it will if you let it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to wrap the stripper clips with  something to keep the sharp edges and bullets tips from penetrating the vac bags. And as mentioned above, don't pull a hard vacuum. Good way to store ammo in your  get home or BOB.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:13:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I hadn't really thought about the sharp edges.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Another +1 for ammo cans. I think there's a section on vacuum sealing in the Ammo Oracle IIRC.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top