Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 5:44:24 AM EDT
I am thinking of vaccum sealing boxes of ammo & loaded magazines to keep with my "bug-out-bag" I want to be able to keep a reserve of ammo clean & dry even if everything else I have is not! This was a topic several months ago but I do not recall the conventional wisdom on the subject. Some posts argued that the partial vaccum inside the bag could (over-time) change the physical properties of the powder or cause the bullet or primer to become unseated from the case. Others argued that the vaccum created by most home systems (Seal-a-meal, Deni, etc.) was not enough to do any damage. I know lots of people have stored ammo this way is there any long term data on the affect to down-range performance?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am thinking of vaccum sealing boxes of ammo & loaded magazines to keep with my "bug-out-bag" I want to be able to keep a reserve of ammo clean & dry even if everything else I have is not! This was a topic several months ago but I do not recall the conventional wisdom on the subject. Some posts argued that the partial vaccum inside the bag could (over-time) change the physical properties of the powder or cause the bullet or primer to become unseated from the case. Others argued that the vaccum created by most home systems (Seal-a-meal, Deni, etc.) was not enough to do any damage. I know lots of people have stored ammo this way is there any long term data on the affect to down-range performance?
View Quote

See the Ammo FAQ.  Specifically:

[url=http://www.ammo-oracle.com/#vacuum]Q. My wife just got one of those uber-cool vacuum food packers. I was thinking of sneaking into the kitchen and vacuum sealing all my ammo when she goes to watch the kids play soccer this weekend. What do you think?[/url]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks tatjana, somehow I thought you might have the answer. I haven't read the FAQ lately, lots of new/good info!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I mentioned this about 10 days ago...My wife doesn't mind my using her machine.  I just have to buy the bags for her.

Like I said before.  It couldn't hurt
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top