Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:57:25 AM EDT
Got a 6P with KL3 head and clickie tail cap mounted on the left side of my Samson rails in a VLTOR CK mount. I took it to the range for 150 rds. of fun and the mount had let the SureFire move all the way forward down on to the tail cap. Luckily I caught it before it let loose...I'd have been PISSED!!! Noticed this about half way though. I got to playing with it when I got home. If I push the mount toward the front edge of the rail I'm mounting it to while tightening it down, as you do a BUIS, etc...it will slide itself to the opposite side after dropping the charge handle just once!!! Believe me, I tighten the hell out of everything...probably too much and it still does this. I can't get it to tighten down any tighter, with my fingers and I'm not about to put a wrench on it.

(BTW, how much are you suppose to tighten down something like a BUIS or EOtech on a flat top?)

Have decided to take it off when going to the range and leave it on at home just in case...but is this the intended use for these mounts? Has anyone else had this issue?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My 9P in VLTOR mount does alright.  It was loose enough to rotate a bit but I just cranked it tighter and that solved everything.  Electrical tape would do the same, it will only take a couple of wraps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
First time to install the Vltor I had to use a wrench to get it tight enough not to slip.  After taking it off a couple of times, I can tighten wing nut with my fingers tight enough to keep it from slipping.  Holds tight.  This is the 1" version I am talking about.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've put a bunch of these on LE M4s and some others, but I put a rag around the knob and tighten it with a wrench. None of them have had any problems to date, including two Gladius lights in CK mounts through a three day 1000+ round class. I say get the wrench!

+1. The wrench will set you free.

I tightened the piss out of mine with a Leatherman Wave (no need for a rag, the torch already looks like crap) when I put the Gladius on my shorty 6.8 yesterday. 500 rounds of 115 grain goodness later and all is well.

I couldn't be happier with the light, mount, or rifle. More details to come very soon
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Be careful. If you put too much ass behind it you can break the knob off (I did). Vltor replaced it for free thank goodness.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've put a bunch of these on LE M4s and some others, but I put a rag around the knob and tighten it with a wrench. None of them have had any problems to date, including two Gladius lights in CK mounts through a three day 1000+ round class. I say get the wrench!

+1

You have to crank them down, and then they're bullet proof.

I have always wanted to get a special wrench with a nipple on it to fit the Vltor mount knob so I didn't need to cary pliers or anything bulky. Another thing that I dream for is a LaRue QD mount that would have the same "Very Low" profile as the Vltor as I mount mine on the top rail and it fits nicely in front of my EOTech. Can hardly see the EOTech under the Vltor mounted LDI LAS/TAC laser.

Tack
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I put one on my carbine, hand-tightened () it and went to the range.

Loose after about 100 rounds.

I came back home, applied blue loctite and tightened with wrench.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top