Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/20/2009 9:56:56 AM EST
Does anyone know where I can find a video of barrels being changed on these weapon systems? I am trying to get an idea of how they work and what I want to buy...

They look easy from pictures that I have seen but I am looking for a video of somebody doing it and can't find any.

What are your thoughts on the MGI QCB?

You help is much appreciated!!

Also poll inbound!!

ETA

Links added.
LMT MRP
VLTOR VIS
MGI QCB
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:05:42 AM EST
i can't speak for the others but as long as the barrel extension is in spec the MGI works well for me.  at one time i had another barrel that caused the POI to alternate from 1 to 7 o'clock each time the barrel was removed.  with the new barrel the zero is dead nuts each time.  that said, pulling the barrel and reinserting it is easy for me.  now my girlfriend who shoots with me cannot reclamp the barrel.  changing calibers requires no tools which is really handy, i drag enough crap to the range when i go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:59:16 AM EST
I have an MRP.  The barrel change is literally a min or so.  That being said, I would go with the Vltor since you can use a standard barrel over a propietary one.  If Vltor was an authorized manufacturer for dept use I would have gone with them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:04:54 AM EST
The VIS does not have a quick change barrel. It requires the same tools you would need to swap out the barrel any standard AR receiver as it uses a barrel nut hidden under the rail. Since it has limited access you have to use the Vltor special barrel nut wrench.

While it has a full length rail like the MRP it is not really in the same category since you can't swap out the barrel easily. You can use any standard barrel though as long as it has M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:39:09 AM EST
Oops.  I stand corrected on the barrel change issue.  I feel better about my MRP now.  Thanks.  It seems that they aren't so easily compared then.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:51:57 AM EST
If you want a true quick change barreled upper then MGI is the only choice.

If you want a true one peice upper then the LMT MRP is the only way to go.

If you like the looks of the Vltor then go for it.

Personally I wanted a quick change barrel upper so i went with MGI and it is great. It uses standard barrels and locks in without any tools.
Top Top