Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 3:41:06 PM EDT
I just bought the Clubfoot and it comes with the butterfly latch instead of the regular stock latch.  I just read an article (probably in SWAT) where the author stated that the butterfly latch is the best latch for any AR stock and he recommends replacing the old lever with the buttterfly one.  My problem is I don't think I like the butterefly and I can't see why the author of the mag thinks it's by far the best latch.  I have a hard time just getting to move up or down a hole on the tobe and when I try to extemnd it all the way back to the 5th hole the stock just comes right off.

what the hell could I be doing wrong?  Is there a certain way to move the latch?  Please help m,e with this, I love the stock but I hate the latch (so far)

I know the latchjes can be switchjed from butterfly to the regular one and if I'm not doing anything wrong than I'm going to switch to the regular lever

thanks for thelp guys/gals I appreciate it

Bill
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I just figured it out it just took a little bit more playing around with it but please still give me an answer to what I was doing wrong

thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with the Clubfoot and butterfly latch VLTOR stock.  I was and still am planning on using one on my next build.  I have a regular Vltor carbine stock and like it.  I think the magazine that hypes the Vltor clubfoot stock is Guns&Weapons for LE.  There is a plug in every issue for Vltor.  Hope someone can answer your question...

TS
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
are you squeezing the butterfly latch up when you extend the stock, or pushing it down? just put your hand on top of the stock and squeeze the back of the latch up and move the stock, just like you would a standard (only your fingers are on one side of the latch).

the butterfly latch works on both the clubfoot and standard stocks, but you cannot put a standard latch on a clubfoot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Vltor club foot modstock and to adjust the length push up the rear of the latch.

To remove the buttstock assembly from the buffer tube pull down the rear of the latch.

The reason the article in the magazine said that the butterfly is a better latch is because it cannot be accidentally pushed up like the regular CAR latches that sticks out at the lower front of the stock.

The butterfly latch is more tucked in preventing it from accidentally being pushed and moving the stock out of position.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a Vltor club foot modstock and to adjust the length push up the rear of the latch.

To remove the buttstock assembly from the buffer tube pull down the rear of the latch.

The reason the article in the magazine said that the butterfly is a better latch is because it cannot be accidentally pushed up like the regular CAR latches that sticks out at the lower front of the stock.

The butterfly latch is more tucked in preventing it from accidentally being pushed and moving the stock out of position.

I played with it a little more and when I think I'm getting the hang of it I start to havr a hard time.  It seems like you have to grasp thr rear of the latch and pull up perfectly lrvel and it will work right.  I'm sure I'll get used to it but for now it's kind of snnoying.

thanks for the hints guys I honestly appreciate it

thanks,
Bill

if you have more info please keep it going
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]

What he said  ................. the Clubfoot VLTOR I just installed is pretty tight & stiff, but working it a few times will smooth it out. I believe it is built to be tight and, as a result, prevent the rattling that is common to car stocks of lesser quality.

Just my .02 cents worth, remember that you asked for it, & YMMV .
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What he said  ................. the Clubfoot VLTOR I just installed is pretty tight & stiff, but working it a few times will smooth it out. I believe it is built to be tight and, as a result, prevent the rattling that is common to car stocks of lesser quality.

Just my .02 cents worth, remember that you asked for it, & YMMV .

the being tight part is what the problem was for me, now I'm geting used to it and can move the stock up and down without a problem
thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I try to extemnd it all the way back to the 5th hole the stock just comes right off.

Bill

OPERATOR ERROR!!!!!

DO NOT "PULL" ON THE LATCH (WHICH YOU DO TO TAKE THE STOCK OFF)

PUT YOUR THUMB OVER THE TOP OF THE STOCK, REACH DOWN AND "SQUEEZE" THE PATEL "UP"

SEE HOW NICE THAT WORKS?

OW
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
To address your other question, on why others have said that the butterfly latch is better than the stock latch. It is because it is supposed (note I dont' own one) to be lower profile than the stock latch.

Jason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top