Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/8/2007 6:39:02 PM EST
I have been putting together a budget varminter AR. This AR will be used for punching holes in paper, prairie dogs, and groundhogs. Shots will be from 50 to 300 yards. It is a DPMS 20inch stainless bull, A3 flatop upper, 3lb Jard trigger, A2 stock, freefloat handguard, and the scope I'm not sure yet. I have been looking at the Weaver Classic V series in a 4-16X42mm matte. It has a fine crosshair. I need suggestions on a mount and scope setup. Is the Weaver good are is there another I should consider? The mount I have been looking at is a Model 1 which has the rings and base all in one piece. The reviews at Midway USA gave it 5 star. Any other suggestions.

Thanks
Shoot safetly
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:54:57 AM EST
I've owned a Weaver 4x16 with fine crosshair reticle for over a decade, and coincidently just moved it to my "spr lite" built around a Colt 1/7 HBAR. The glass used to be on my Rem 700 VS, which I now run a Weaver 6X (awesome glass BTW, very bright and clear) for a more land owner friendly deer/coyote rifle.

The 4x16 is a great scope, although with the sunshade and all it is almost as long as the PRI handguard on my rifle! I used a GG&G GS-1 mount and Leupold PRW high rings. You will NEED an extended rail regardless of which rings you prefer to get the correct eye relief with the Weaver. Forget the Model 1 mount, no way it will work well. HTH.

Paladin

here's an old shot of my "spr lite" when a Leupold 2x7 was mounted.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:39:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 2:41:22 PM EST by menof2amendment]
Get the Weaver V24 with varmint plex reticle. It is a fine plex with a 1/16th dot at the crosshair center. Actually it`s a 1/16th diamond. Barely visible, but it`s there. Also, get a hydraulic buffer to replace the stock buffer inside your buttstock. No need to replace the spring. Enidine AR-restor is best, but there are others. The hydraulic buffer will make your rifle nearly recoiless, but you must use full power good quality ammo ( no WOLF, no AMERICAN EAGLE) or the buffer will shortstroke and the bolt carrier will f/t eject case. Last, get a 2 1/2lb. weight to put inside buttstock compartment. (what a rig)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:05:07 PM EST
I used a Leupold VX2 4-12x40AO on my old pseudo varmint rig. It was a $400 scope a few years ago, haven't looked at it lately. It's very good quality and I liked the fine duplex reticle for those really long shots. It didn't obscure anything, but sometimes it was hard to see on dark colored targets. I used an Armalite 1-piece mount and it worked great. Perfect eye relief and height with that mount/scope combo. The scope is sitting on my .22 now, but it will go back to my SPR when I'm done building it. I have also used the Burris Fullfield 2 and that's a great scope for the money. I like the ballistic plex reticle, but some hate it. It's just as good as the Leupold as far as light transmission, but clarity is not quite as good in my experience. Most any scope from Nikon is also a great value. Very clear and dependable, but you don't get as many crosshair choices. I'd still use the Armalite mount with any scope so long as it would fit. MJD
Top Top