Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 9:43:50 PM EDT
I know I can get the straight scoop here on ARFcom.

Grease and graphite for lubrication in my AR and shotgun.  I was talking with a bunch of guys at the gun show and this has to be the craziest stuff I have ever heard.  And yet, it seems to kinda ring a bell with me that there might be some truth to it.

This one guy claimed that you should use firearms grade grease on the AR recoil buffer spring and the pump action of shotguns.   And that you should dust the trigger mech in the lower with graphic powder.

Now, I've always heard that both places should just be clean and free of oil as much as possible.

Is he full of it, or am I just an old fuddy-duddy who's not up on what's current in AR maintenance?

Any thoughts and opinions on this greatly appreciated.

-Frank
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
More gun show BS. YOur rifle doesn't need grease or graphite to run correctly. A little CLP goes a long way. Let me guess this grease wasn't cheap was it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Graphite should never be used in an AR, grease, very lightly used in the buffer tube is ok inspite of what some may say. The only adverse effect on using grease in the buffer tube would be if you drop the gun in water, the grease could prohibit the water from draining out the drain hole.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
moly grease only and in very small amounts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I use tetra grease, its has like 500% more teflon than clp, I use itin my glock, my 1911, pump and auto shotguns, my AR. If you wipe if on thin(doesnt look like its on there) then you get superior lubrication, when you need it, it doesnt soak in or run.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use tetra grease, its has like 500% more teflon than clp, I use itin my glock, my 1911, pump and auto shotguns, my AR. If you wipe if on thin(doesnt look like its on there) then you get superior lubrication, when you need it, it doesnt soak in or run.

+1 on Tetra Grease.

I wipe a thin film on the face of the buffer to act as a barrier between the buffer and bolt carrier. Inside the buffer tube I stick to CLP.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Free advice from the gun show gurus is worth exactly what you paid for it...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on Tetra Grease.

I wipe a thin film on the face of the buffer to act as a barrier between the buffer and bolt carrier. Inside the buffer tube I stick to CLP.

I use Tetra grease on my buffer spring to reduced grating sound and the "sproing" sound.  No issues with reliability.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
why would you put graphite in the lower? what there needs lube?

How about the sear/disconnector/hammer hook?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO. your al lower can eat away to protect the graphite lube. On the galavinic recation chart graphite is high where al is low. Much lower than the ±2 they recomend to stayt within.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO. your al lower can eat away to protect the graphite lube. On the galavinic recation chart graphite is high where al is low. Much lower than the ±2 they recomend to stayt within.

I was merely commenting on the "what needs lube" remark.  The parts I listed most definitely need lube.  I use Pro-Shot Gold or Militec grease, whichever is handier when I open my rifle tool box.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
ah ok, I went off course.  Oil and grese are ok. Somtimes I use to much, so far only bad result has been splatter on the shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Tetra left some crazy residue on my ARs. I'll stick with CLP, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they work just fine dry.

a better answer would have been the selector detent.

Just curious...how would one go about lubing the selector detent?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top