Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2005 6:59:25 AM EDT

I hope I will be able to explain my question properly.  I am currently using an Aimpoint as my primary sighting device.  I love it in the dark but in the daytime I think I would prefer a TA11 and a little magnification.  Last night I took my Aimpoint and Vari-X III out into the pasture for a little experimenting.  I'm wondering how difficult it is to use a TA11 in the dark.

I wanted to see what it would be like to try and find a site picture through a 3.5x scope in the dark.  I must say it was not very easy.  Is it easier with an ACOG due to the BAC?  I also began to wonder if anyone even uses the magnification of an ACOG in the dark or more so used the ACOG as if it where an Aimpoint with the objective lens covered...looked at the target with their left eye and watched the reticle with their right eye and never even switch focus on the target to their right eye.  

How big an issue is eye relief with an ACOG as it pertains to the positioning of the reticle within the scope.  We all know that as long as the dot in an Aimpoint is on the target you're good to go regardless of the positioning of the dot within the scope.  I assume that because the TA11 is magnified, if the reticle is not centered in the scope you will not hit where you are aiming...is that correct?

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Illumintated reticle work in the dark just fine.  If you can see your target provided there is enough light to see it you can use the magnified imaged.  BAC never hits where the reticle is and the reticle will work fine if your very slightly off center at close ranges.  Aimpoints are not parallax free either, thats a marketing gimick.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
TA11 has the friendliest eye relief of any ACOG, and yes its ok in the dark.   If you still want it brighter, stick a short section of bicycle tube (aka "The ZakSmith Mod") and then stick a baby Cyalume on top of the fiber optic housing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
TA11 has the friendliest eye relief of any ACOG, and yes its ok in the dark.   If you still want it brighter, stick a short section of bicycle tube (aka "The ZakSmith Mod") and then stick a baby Cyalume on top of the fiber optic housing.

\

I tried the Cyalume.  Not near bright enough.   You['ll have to got to an LED key chain light.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top