Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2010 11:13:44 PM EDT
Are they worth any money?  What do you guys do with them?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what you're asking here.  Are you talking about the empty brass or steel casing?  Yeah, they're worth something.  If it's Boxer primed, it can be reloaded with relative ease.  You probably won't sell Boxer primed steel or aluminum cases to a reloader, though some guys do pick them up and reuse them.  The premium will be for Boxer primed brass cases in commonly reloaded calibers, and you still won't get the same price for once fired brass as you would for brand new unprimed brass, even if you process it (clean, size/deprime, remove primer pocket crimp if necessary).

If it's Berdan primed, it can be reloaded, but there's extra effort involved in removing the primer, and then you have to actually find Berdan primers (they're out there, though).

If you're looking to recoup a little money from your empty cases, you can do it.  If it's brass and Boxer primed, you can sell it as once-fired.  If it's not (steel, or Berdan primed brass), you will probably do better to sell it for scrap metal value.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
if you mean the brass ......then yes its worth something, its why most ranges make you sweep it up and put it in there trash cans.....they then turn around and sell it.......and then hit you again when they sell reloads in there shops.

I either take mine with me or leave it where it sits.....if there going to make that much money off me they can sweep the shit up themselves
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

if you mean the brass ......then yes its worth something, its why most ranges make you sweep it up and put it in there trash cans.....they then turn around and sell it.......and then hit you again when they sell reloads in there shops.

I either take mine with me or leave it where it sits.....if there going to make that much money off me they can sweep the shit up themselves

Why don't you pick up your own brash and then dispose of it as you see see fit?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
What is used brass going for on the scrap market (per pound)?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone said $1.30 the other day,lower now than the time scrap was up to the rooftops,check locally also...some scrapppers pay less if you got spent  primers in,should not make a dif though as they are brass too
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is used brass going for on the scrap market (per pound)?

Here in my town They were giving 1$ a pound IF you DEPRIMED them . I have found that whatever the product was designed for is its highest value vs. scrap price.  Here in this town, in gun shops, 223 brass polished is going for around 10-12 cents.  UMMV.  On the other hand if you have 5-100 TONS of brass, you might save time by selling all of it as scrap!  About 95grs./223 rd. makes about 73/lb.For a buck!  .10cents x 73= $7.30 as reloadable brass!  Big difference!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep it. This is 3/4 of what I've shot over the last year, and I don't go that often. This summer I was mostly too lazy to pick the stuff up, I wish somebody made a decent brass catcher that wasn't huge or a cheap POS.

My brass stash is nothing compared to some of the guys on here, but the bigger box weighs at least 15-20 pounds I think. It's mixed rifle and pistol brass of several calibers, mostly .223/5.56 brass although there's a lot of .30-06 on top because my buddy and I put about 20-30 rounds each through our deer rifles last week.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:15:03 AM EDT
[#9]
give it to a buddy that reloads.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been storing my brass for a while. Eventually, I'll see what the local metal recyclers have to offer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you pick up your own brash and then dispose of it as you see see fit?

would you believe that alot of ranges wont let you take your brass with you?  sick but true..........and if you want to dump your brass it has to go in SPECIFIC trash bins.....bottom line....they take ALL your brass and resell it...........so if they want it that bad they can sweep it up themseves....I will be damned if I am going to buy the shit then turn around and sweep it up or put it in a nice neat pile so they can make more off me.  They can work for it
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
'Tater:

ya keeps all them yellow brass casing after you shoot! Sell 'em to guys who reload, or keep them for yourself when and if you reload.

don't store them up all grungy with mud, sand and grass. throw 'em in a sieve, colander, or brass separator, hose 'em off, let 'em dry and toss them in a 5 gallon bucket WITH A TIGHT LID.

(ask me why about the tight lid: had mice and chipmunks piss up a storm in my old brass storage buckets in my barn. ruined a hellava lot of brass for me!)
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Save your once-fired brass in case you run into a reloader that will make you some special ammo with them, like 77 gr stuff or whatever. Or, take it to the metal recycler when you get 50 lbs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top