Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 7:13:16 PM EDT
Picked up a few used 223 mags today.  I scrounged thru a local dealers pile and found 4 OKAYs that looked as if they'd never been used......green followers were clean.  I found 1 C Products with a Magpul follower that had never been used and 4 Colt 20rd.  The Colts all have the alloy followers........don't know if that's good or bad.  The Colts will need some cleaning especially the steel plate retainers.  I may replace the springs since they're a bit rusty but I may leave the followers as they are.  The guy in the store wanted to charge more for the Colts but let me have them for the price they charge for all the used mags.          Any thoughts on replacing the followers on the Colts?  I'm not collecting them.......they'll be users along with all the others.

I could probably get off spending less money but I'm sort of a woodworker and I get a lot of enjoyment cleaning up old "ARN"  Same way with these mags.  I probably wont refinish any used mags..........the wear gives them character.............sorta like me.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Picked up a few used 223 mags today.  I scrounged thru a local dealers pile and found 4 OKAYs that looked as if they'd never been used......green followers were clean.  I found 1 C Products with a Magpul follower that had never been used and 4 Colt 20rd.  The Colts all have the alloy followers........don't know if that's good or bad.  The Colts will need some cleaning especially the steel plate retainers.  I may replace the springs since they're a bit rusty but I may leave the followers as they are.  The guy in the store wanted to charge more for the Colts but let me have them for the price they charge for all the used mags.          Any thoughts on replacing the followers on the Colts?  I'm not collecting them.......they'll be users along with all the others.

I could probably get off spending less money but I'm sort of a woodworker and I get a lot of enjoyment cleaning up old "ARN"  Same way with these mags.  I probably wont refinish any used mags..........the wear gives them character

leave the alloy followers alone, some people say those of 20s are some of the most reliable mags they own.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
brownells sells the replacement springs for your Colt mags.
the alloy followers are the best ones available for the straight 20rd mags - no need to ever change them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

leave the alloy followers alone, some people say those of 20s are some of the most reliable mags they own.

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave the alloy followers in and get the brownells replacement springs. Thats what I'm running in mine and they are great.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies.  I have heard that the alloy followers are good.

The friendliness/civility of this site is refreshing when compared with other discussion forums I've visited.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top