Magpul MOE Grip
Magpul ACS Stock
Magpul Angled Foregrip
FailZero Bolt
Chip McCormick Curved Trigger
Magpul PMAGs - 2 30 round tethered
EoTech 512
EoTech 3x Magnifier

Flawless operation, super accuracy, my first and possibly last build. MBUS co-witness with red dot when you flip the Magnifier out of the way. (single button spring loaded). I highly recommend all materials used. (Especially the Chip Trigger)

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/borninfire/AR/2010-09-01_16-38-46_415.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/borninfire/AR/2010-09-01_16-40-51_362.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/borninfire/AR/2010-09-01_16-40-39_204.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/borninfire/AR/2010-08-19_18-59-00_32.jpg
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ditch the UTG bipod ... otherwise I'm diggin it
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Last one? Muahhh hahahaha!!! NO ONE is immune to BRD!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I said "last one" 11 builds ago.  

Why the bipod?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I wasnt so sure about the bipod either, thats why I bought a 'disposable' UTG for like $20. I wanted a good solid rest to test the gun for accuracy, and it did the job. If I had to go prone, I might appreciate it more.

Its a thumbscrew away from being removed. Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
"Urban Recon"? Sounds like mall ninja. Wouldn't urban combat be close and personal? Light and simple?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The idea is short to mid distance target acquisition - hence the eotech and the 3x mag. High power LED lamp if zones need to be scouted at night, and a bipod for distance shooting and prone over time campout. Thats the idea. Mall ninja? Maybe a little I wont deny the Frankenstein factor. However, every component was added to this rifle with urban recon in mind.

The rifle in your picture has many limits mine does not. Daytime, if youve got time to use iron sights, and the length isnt at issue, your rifle is surely as dependable.

My rifle hopes for the luxury of a camped position and a little range, but if thats not available ive got 60 rounds loaded and an eotech.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The idea is short to mid distance target acquisition - hence the eotech and the 3x mag.

That doesn't make sense. Why would you need any magnification for short to mid distance?  The more magnification you use, the slower you are to acquire target.  Unless you are calling 300 meters mid distance.  Not that I care - it's your money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I like it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
A difference in philosophy I suppose. A light makes a excellent target, electronics fail and weapon weight is always a factor in mobility. A camped position in an urban setting makes you the prey. A double clip is a must, with one at the ready.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
A red dot like your Eotech is more than enough to engage life size targets up to 200 Yards without a problem. maybe 250-300Y if your vision is good. Although if this rifle's purpose is a bench gun, then hitting that 1" circle at 100Y might need that magnifier...

IMO, a magnifier only adds to the weight. Had one, ditched it as soon as I got off the bench and started doing practical rifles. If you truly want a magnified optic that can also do CQB, I'd say a Trijicon Shortdot is the best solution.

And by larue comp, do you mean PWS FSC 556?

Last thing: I notice you have both the bipod and the magpul AFG; if you want to combine the two, it might be worth looking into getting a Grip Pod [avoid the airsoft knockoffs on fleabay]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A difference in philosophy I suppose. A light makes a excellent target, electronics fail and weapon weight is always a factor in mobility. A camped position in an urban setting makes you the prey. A double clip is a must, with one at the ready.

I like your rifle, no doubt, but are you suggesting that his rifle is less capable than yours in an urban environment because it has an optic and a light? If this were true don't you think our guys overseas would be carrying a rifle more similar to yours?

As for failing optics, that's what buis are for. And with proper low light training a light can be one of the most essential components on an AR. Target identification is essential so that you know who you've got in your sights before you pull the trigger.

OP: Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
"I like your rifle, no doubt, but are you suggesting that his rifle is less capable than yours in an urban environment because it has an optic and a light?"

Actually you'd be better served by the most recognized urban combat weapon. Light, rugged, reliable and mobile.

"If this were true don't you think our guys overseas would be carrying a rifle more similar to yours?"

Full battle gear makes urban fighting cumbersome. The most effective target will be the 2" by 4" rectangle just above your light. A definite one shot kill. That's all your opponent needs.

Your target should have been identified before you put them in your sights. Wrong place, wrong time is a sad situation.

A more SHTF configuration. A little old school but effective.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go with a more compact light (IE surefire scout) and defintely ditch the UTG bipod.
I noticed you put plastic rail covers on your gas block, but not your plastic sights.. The railed gas block should be taken advantage of, I would buy metal (troy) flip sights so that you can make use of that extra inch or so of sight radius. Also, since the UTG crap would be gone you could move up your AFG and take advantage of that as well.  I am also not  fan of magnifiers, I would prefer either just the red dot or a true scope..
..but this is all just my opinion on it.

At any rate, it seems like a decent rifle and if your happy with it –– thats what matters.

People saying a light is useless and just gives your positon away etc have never cleared a dark room obviously.  There is definitely a time and a place for a light, and I will always have one on my short and mid range rifles (and pistols).  Your "scouting dark zones at night" would not be the best way to use a weaponlight.. but a book could be written on this subject (and probably has) so I am not going to get into that subject.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Good and bad, all great feedback. Thanks to all!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...snip...

Guys carrying these "most recognized urban combat weapons" are getting slaughtered wholesale by the US "less capable" rifle.

And like I said, you cant just throw on a light and expect to know how to use it, hence the low light training I referenced.  And tell me how you are going to identify a target in the dark? And night vision doesnt count because if you remember, "electronics break".
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Towel heads are hardly worthy opponents. In NTC and JRTC exercises our well trained troops rarely win against OPFORS.

http://www.fas.org/man/eprint/971211-ntc.htm

You'd make enough noise in the dark with your battle gear that you'd be hard to miss. As soon as I saw the tell tale red or green in the dark you'd be a dead man.

Night vision has it own set of problems.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Towel heads are hardly worthy opponents. In NTC and JRTC exercises our well trained troops rarely win against OPFORS.

You'd make enough noise in the dark with your battle gear that you'd be hard to miss. As soon as I saw the tell tale red or green in the dark you'd be a dead man.

The only thing that article proves is that in the simulations those opfor were better trained than the NTCs. Never does it say that they were better because they used less capable weapons than the NTC, they just employed better tactics. And they were shooting "lazer beams" at each other, so how does this article even relate to the effectiveness of either weapon system? The only conclusions that can be made from that article is that in that simulation, the opfor were better trained (which I mentioned earlier was much more important than throwing gear on your rifle that you don't know how to use)

And I still want to know how you are going to ID a target at night without NV or a light?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That article is dated 1997..  A LOT has changed in the past 13 years of the military..

Edit: starting to realize you are a poser/troll who has zero real world experience
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]
"starting to realize you are a poser/troll who has zero real world experience"

Really? That's your best intellegent response? Since when is discussing a hypothetical situation posing? What have I posed as? A guy who likes to spend time at the range. A troll, does that mean only you have the right to express your point of veiw? "Real world" experiance? Get a grip.

Sorry but the OPFORS still win most of the time
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]
NTC and JRTC are both OPFORS groups. NTC for Armor and JRTC for light infantry.

"And I still want to know how you are going to ID a target at night without NV or a light?"

Flat out, your opponent has already heard you coming and identified you before you get in range as a hostile, friendly or harmless. A light always gives away your position, an opponent will be observing your movement. A light illuminates you when in profile making you the perfect target.

Kids that live in the city play tag at night in the dark all the time. We used to sneak up on our friends in the dark. "Real world" stuff
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I think its a Surefire brake and Streamlight SuperTac light, not Larue and Surfire.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
NTC and JRTC are both OPFORS groups. NTC for Armor and JRTC for light infantry.

"And I still want to know how you are going to ID a target at night without NV or a light?"

Flat out, your opponent has already heard you coming and identified you before you get in range as a hostile, friendly or harmless. A light always gives away your position, an opponent will be observing your movement. A light illuminates you when in profile making you the perfect target.

Kids that live in the city play tag at night in the dark all the time. We used to sneak up on our friends in the dark. "Real world" stuff

..which is why you don't use weaponlights in that manor.  What if you are clearing a dimly lit house?  You enter an empty bedroom with a closet door open that you can't see into..  Blip your light quickly to see if someone is hiding in there.  This is just one of millions of scenarios where a light can be very advantageous.  Your logic of "they will see you first" only applies if your using the waponlight improperly.  You are approaching the issue from only one side.  Yes, everyone agrees that if your out in the open you don't want to have your light on looking for someone etc.  This is a problem that training and experience solves.

Anyways, this has gone pretty far off topic from the OP.  There are many training courses, videos, books, other threads, etc where low light tactics are discussed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Agreed back on to the topic. OP, nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks similar to my 16"

It is nice, but this wouldn't be a forum if everyone didn't put in their two cents.

I get the bi-pod idea but there are far more better quality and lighter ones out there for a little more money (not much)
your light looks to be a little large for the weapon. An advance in technology has made smaller brighter lighter lights now a days.
The x3, well practice more with your BUIS and 300 yards shouldn't be a prob with out it.
Sling?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#25]
altopwescap,

You do realize that JRTC and NTC OPFOR are well-trained US soldiers who do nothing but fight war-games on their turf, under those rules, and equipment limitations all year right?

There is no comparison between US Army professional OPFOR and foreign insurgents in terms of skill.

Our OPFOR are good in order to make training difficult and to force our soldiers to use cover realistically instead of taking chances because it is just a laser.

I'd ditch the bipod, 3X, and get a smaller light, but that's just me.  I'd rather have lighter weight and better handling and less to get hung up on stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I agree with most of the other posters, ditch the bipod and practice improvised supported shooting positions (kneel behind the bench using a range bag for support vs sitting with a bipod for example.)  The eotech center dot is 1moa, fine enough to get you out 400+ yds on a "E" type target with a shot tempo of a round a second from a supported position, especially with your brake.  The only time I could see using a magnifier is if your target is partially or mostly obscured by some form of cover and the target area is small, otherwise Id leave it detached from the rifle altogether.  Overall its a nice looking setup, if youve got some time try setting up some improvised barricades and practice shooting from cover, through windows or holes, low light if your range allows and see how everything works together.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top