Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 8/8/2011 8:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2011 8:52:16 PM EDT by Reluctanse]
I am putting together my parts list for my build when I came across this upper:

DPMS Stripped Upper Receiver

I really like the look of it and the lack of a forward assist and dust door.  I am building a hunting/varmint rifle, going with .223/5.56, wylde chambered 20" stainless barrel and as light weight as possible while not getting ridiculously expensive.  I was hoping to save weight with an upper like this but one reviewer says its actually heavier than a normal upper. Any issues with using an upper like this?  Are there any other uppers of similar design?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:20:30 PM EDT
Just get a Les Baer upper w/o forward assist and leave the dust cover off.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:23:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:43:18 AM EDT
Besides the Les Baer, you can also use a 9mm upper with a gas tube hole drilled (ADCO does that for $30):
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:47:48 PM EDT
The VLT0R uppers come with or without the forward assist as well.  I'm looking at one of those without it for my current build.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:39:27 PM EDT
I have the DPMS upper that you are talking about on a 6.8 build.  I really like the smooth look, but there is definitely a different shape to the receiver, it wouldn't surprise me that it weighed more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:27:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ruzhye:
I have the DPMS upper that you are talking about on a 6.8 build.  I really like the smooth look, but there is definitely a different shape to the receiver, it wouldn't surprise me that it weighed more.

The DPMS Hi-Pro and Lo-Pro receivers are not forged parts.  They appear to be machined extrusions.  The receiver walls are thicker than a standard GI type receiver.  Hence the different appearance.  I have several of them and they work just fine.  I don't believe there is any strength issues at all.  As stated just above they probably do weigh a few ounces more than a forged unit.
Top Top