Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/5/2014 9:40:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2014 9:45:48 AM EST by CaseYellow1940]
I have been trying to build an XM16E1 for some time and finally ended up with a NDS lower (WHOOO!!). The lower looks great but the colors don’t match at all, which I knew. What’s the best way to get this Martin Marietta m16 upper looking a little colt grey? Or would it be better to just find an upper that’s already grey? The upper came on as a complete M16A1 upper that I bought some years ago, with a colt barrel.

I also thought of maybe going a 604 route, where would one find a grey 604 upper? NDS isn’t making any more though, so are there any other sources?

Here is the mess I have so far.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:44:01 AM EST
Uppers and lowers often didn't match in real life so I'd say what you have there looks good to me, at least on my phone. If it's the original finish on the upper I woudlnt change it however if you really want to there are several options. If you want a 604 upper keep looking in the EE they come up from
Time to time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:09:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2014 11:10:21 AM EST by Sgt911]
Find an upper that is already gray. It might be tough but look for a no forge code upper. You could have the LM upper re-anodized by US anodizing if he will take the work. Barring that, paint it with Norrels or Alumahyde, or like he poster above said, most didn't match anyway. You could even wait for a Nodak 603 upper and swap the parts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:28:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2014 11:29:33 AM EST by brianm767]
I'm going to use old SP1 uppers or my 604ish build, I'm not a purest, (that's why I sold my real deal 602 upper) I got one here off the pay it FWD board and bought the other stripped for about $75, they seem to often go for less than the surplus military uppers, and they are a nice grey, ill just have to get some offset bushings or the, any one have spares?

I actually don't want my upper and lowers to match perfectly, I want some differance in the greys since that's how it would have been, but yes like you I don't want black, I bought some Norrels to try to do some A2 lowers that will have to fill in until I can get A1's.

I'd use Norells or Alumahyde to try to match the upper up a bit better.
Top Top