Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:44:14 AM EDT
I just purchased a brand new RRA CAR, and went to field strip it.

Did all the normal stuff you would do for a field strip, cleared weapon, pushed bolt foward, dry fired it, pushed takedown pin out, etc. Halves won't separate. Pushed out front pivet pin, and then you can tell that the front end is loose, but the rear of the two halves is locked tight. I don't want to force the rifle, and this is my first AR and I don't want to mess things up. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Put the front pin back in. Charge the weapon. Push rear pin out. It may be very hard the first time. Use a hammer and punch if you have to.

If  you've done that, and it still won't come out, the buffer might be catching on the upper. If that's the case, you'll have to remove the stock.

I think i've thought this through. If not, i'll be corrected shortly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#2]
RRA’s is notorious for very tight spec’d lower receivers. With time, shooting and assembly/disassembly will loosen up the receivers. Just don’t get any ideas about removing metal! As long as both receivers mate to each other and both takedown and pivot pins can be fully inserted you’ll be fine.

I had the same problem with my first RRA lower receiver. To get the rifle separated I had to literally smack the buttstock with my hand several times till the two separated.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I've put the rifle over my knee at the pivet point with the takedown pin pushed out as far as it will go (used a plastic punch and mallet) and put some pressure on the stock and the barrel's base to see if there was any play whatsoever. The thing feels locked tight. I wanted to open it to clean and lube the rifle before I shot it for the first time, even though it has lube from the factory. Should I just go shoot it in hopes that it will loosen things up a bit?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure the bolt carrier is all the way forward? If it is then I would just force it open.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I am betting on the bolt being just inside the buffer tube.
Take off the stock and buffer tube.

CP
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm pretty good with tools and such, but this is my first AR rifle, hence my caution before I try to take something apart. Also, I've looked inside the pivot channel (correct term?) with a flashlight and it looks to me like the pin has cleared the rear lug. Still no play in the rear of the upper and lower. I purchased this rifle via Gunbroker new, so I'm gonna call RRA to see what they'll say before I have to send this thing off.

As for the comment about the bolt just being inside the buffer tube, you talking about the tube inside the stock that has the recoil spring? Wouldn't pushing the foward assist make sure the bolt is all the way foward? If RRA says removing the stock won't void their warrenty, I would rather do what I can here before having to send it away. I just got this thing, she's purty and I wanna shoot it have
http://manny.chronosphere.us/pics/arpins.jpg
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#9]
your bolt look like this from the ejection port?

And like this from the Mag. well?

What county are you in?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
They look like this:

http://manny.chronosphere.us/pics/arbolt.jpg
http://manny.chronosphere.us/pics/arejectionport.jpg

I'm originally from Collier County, but I live in Alachua for the moment, being that I'm a student at the University of Florida.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#11]
When you pull the rear take down pin as far out of the lower as you can, do you hear a small "click" when it stops?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I hear a click.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#13]
That should be the detent for the rear takedown pin snapping into it's hole in the rear takedown pin, and that SHOULD be a sign the pin is out all the way...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Just for the sake of trying, push the pin back in and try pulling the bolt back and letting it snap forward on its own a few times, if the carrier is stuck back in the buffer tube maybe this will shake it loose...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I pulled the bolt back, locked it, and released it (with the muzzle pointing down to let gravity help) several times and still not a budge of movement, and I've verified that the takedown pin is all the way out with the required click. I have a friend with a CAR stock wrench.. time to take it off?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Send it back to RRA and let them deal with it, if you paid extra for a warrany you should be entitled to use the warranty.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just purchased a brand new RRA CAR, and went to field strip it.

Did all the normal stuff you would do for a field strip, cleared weapon, pushed bolt foward, dry fired it, pushed takedown pin out, etc. Halves won't separate. Pushed out front pivet pin, and then you can tell that the front end is loose, but the rear of the two halves is locked tight. I don't want to force the rifle, and this is my first AR and I don't want to mess things up. Suggestions?

If you did take anything apart I would'nt tell any manufacturer about it when dealing with warranty issues. I don't know about RRA but there are probably some places just waiting for you to say  something like "I used a diffrent lower and it still did'nt work" so they can get out of a warranty. There was a guy that posted a problem close to this one, but he took a small chunk of the lower out trying to open up a RRA. RRA would'nt cover it under warranty. I think his post was "I'm done with rock river" or something close to that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm calling RRA today and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all your help guys, it's appreciated, and I'll post what I find out. Hopefully they have good customer service.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I pushed the rear pin out, grabbed it by the carry handle I just got (better grip) put it on my knee, and smacked the top of the rear stock hard.

Result: My hand hurts, but the rifle shotgunned :)

Thanks for all your help folks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top