Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:33:28 PM EDT
Just curious, is this part only installable with the barrel not on the upper?  Or can it slide out toward the rear of the upper?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the ring clip off, and you can slide it to the rear (but it's a PIA to get back on)
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
And dont forget, before you remove the rod, take a good look at and pay close attention to how the spring is installed...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
And dont forget, before you remove the rod, take a good look at and pay close attention to how the spring is installed...

+10
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It's easier if the barrel is off but if you have to do it with the barrel on, then I'd definitely put a piece of masking tape next to the cover and under the foward assist if you care about the finish.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Take the ring clip off, and you can slide it to the rear (but it's a PIA to get back on)

Hmmm. I always thought that the rod was a "one-piece" thingy (meaning that the protrusion or lock was not a moon clip) .....  I have to take a look at that again tonight!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I am deciding whether I want to take it off.  The reason of thinking about removing the dust cover is that the top left corner of it is bent back, allowing me to stick a 1/8th allen wrench in there.

I guess that if I dont want to disassemble it I could use a pair of pliers to bend it back.

Anyone had an issue similar to this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am deciding whether I want to take it off.  The reason of thinking about removing the dust cover is that the top left corner of it is bent back, allowing me to stick a 1/8th allen wrench in there.

I guess that if I dont want to disassemble it I could use a pair of pliers to bend it back.

Thanks.

If its just the door that is slightly bent then carefully using pliers should be able to straighten it... I suggest wrapping the teeth of the pliers with masking tape, to prevent unwanted tooling marks...

Make sure the pin or hinge isn't bent/twisted causing the door to not close properly... Ive seen a upper receiver before that was twisted causing the same problem you had described...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

If its just the door that is slightly bent then carefully using pliers should be able to straighten it... I suggest wrapping the teeth of the pliers with masking tape, to prevent unwanted tooling marks...

Make sure the pin or hinge isn't bent/twisted causing the door to not close properly... Ive seen a upper receiver before that was twisted causing the same problem you had described...

An upper reciever that was twisted???  

Or do you mean the pin or spring was twisted?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, both... Ive seen a upper that was twisted from being improperly secured in a vise during removal of the barrel nut, Ive also seen the pins bent from who knows what, and if the pin is bent, more than likely the doors hinge is bent...

And hey, the spring is suppose to be twisted
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually, both... Ive seen a upper that was twisted from being improperly secured in a vise during removal of the barrel nut, Ive also seen the pins bent from who knows what, and if the pin is bent, more than likely the doors hinge is bent...

And hey, the spring is suppose to be twisted

Gotcha.

I will try the pliers first although I think I need a bigger pair as I tried it earlier with a small pair and nothing happened.  

And yeah, I know the spring is suppossed to be twisted.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+10

heck yeah + 10
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody else have tips for possibly taking it off with the barrel installed?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think your best bet was suggested earlier.........bend the cover with a pair of pliers. If only a corner is bent up as you mentioned then there is no need to completely remove the cover and take a chance on loosing the cir clip.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Its simple... Remove the E-clip and then slide the pin out, back towards the butt stock, as the pin reaches the forward assist nub, guide it on a downward angle to get around it... The pin might "flex" a bit but that's OK, and the door will come loose and the angle will get better so it wont bind as much when pulling the pin downward and out, just be careful not to bend or scratch anything... Its as easy as 123

ETA: DO IT WITH THE DOOR OPEN
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Got it out.

Thanks guys.

But damn, the door does not look bent at all.  Wonder what caused the gap

I ordered a new RRA door to compare it to (and have a spare on hand) so I will update this thread when I get it in.

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Oh no.... That's what I noticed too.... With the door that came off of the receiver that had been twisted in a vise

It could be the pin or hinge also... I wouldn't worry just yet... You'll figure it out after you install the new door and pin...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no.... That's what I noticed too.... With the door that came off of the receiver that had been twisted in a vise

It could be the pin or hinge also... I wouldn't worry just yet... You'll figure it out after you install the new door and pin...

I really don't think it is the upper (not just out of denial).  

I have measured it and put T-Sqaures to it and I can see absolutely no signs of misalignment.

But like I said, when the new RRA door gets here I will compare them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#18]
With the one I had seen, it was obvious... With the receiver removed from the lower, turned upside down, looking at the wall right below the doors opening, you could see that it wasn't straight, it was bent... Good luck
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top