Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2011 10:08:35 PM EDT
I recently bought a CMMG M4LEP-A .22, with the full intention of buying a 5.56 upper at a later date.

I've began research on on M4 5.56 uppers, but the options and information is so far pretty daunting.

Any advise on how to narrow down the choices?

I realize this is about as bad as asking a stranger to pick you out a wife...

I don't want to buy something cheap but I don't want to go over a $1000.00 either.

I was really just going to go with a CMMG 14.5 M4, Pin on piston gas block and K7 free float rail,  to match my .22LR upper, but having ONLY looked at CMMG I thought I had better hold off and look around.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to use the rifle for?
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Home defense, maybe some 3-gun, plinking.  The .22 upper is mostly for plinking but you gotta practice with your teeth in now and then.  

I probably don't need a top of the line upper, but rather buy more than I need now than have to pay more to swap out parts later for things like grip rails and upgraded ramps.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If I was looking for just a upper my recommendation would be the same if it was for a complete rifle as well.
Spikes or BCM would be my first choice. I would also use their BCG and the Mod 4 Charging Handle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]

How do those compare with one of these with the pin on piston upgrade factory installed?
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-14.7-M4-Carbine-Upper-with-Permanent-A2-Flash-Hider-990
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It's hard to beat BCM uppers for the under $1000 price range.  I have no personal experience with the Spikes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The local guys I talk to (enthusiast and ex military) are all telling me that the piston upgrade is worth it's weight in gold.

I can't find a any recent reviews pitting CMMG's piston system against others.  How does CMMG rate in the 5.56 Piston Upper game?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking at maybe getting an M4LEPII upper at this point but looking for opinions.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt, DD, Spike's, LMT, BCM...take your pic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got to mention Del-Ton. They've always been great tools for a very competitive price.

14.5" upper

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1018.htm

or my favorite a 16" middy with light weight chrome barrel options.

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu104.htm
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The local guys I talk to (enthusiast and ex military) are all telling me that the piston upgrade is worth it's weight in gold.
I can't find a any recent reviews pitting CMMG's piston system against others.  How does CMMG rate in the 5.56 Piston Upper game?

don't believe everything you hear
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
So piston is not with the extra $100 installed at the factory?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends on how long you want to wait..

Me I said fug it and ordered from BCM 7 days from order and it will be in my grubbies with pics.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
?  I've had the same turn around time with CMMG when I bought my M4LEP22-A.  Though I'm not in a hurry for the 5.56 upper.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed with the choices for brand and type, and want to make a well informed decision.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Any negatives about CMMG uppers, or gas piston systems?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Nothing beats pinned for reliablitiy. Clamp on anything will always have the possibility to move. Doesn't mean it will but the piston is moving back and forth in the block. It's not like a clamp on FSB ot gas block.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any negatives about CMMG uppers, or gas piston systems?

Pistons are unnessessary. DI works just fine. Do search about CMMG since you're a team member. I personally wouldn't go with CMMG, but you're free to decide on your own.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I wish I could give you first hand knowledge but I can't.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I had tried searching in the past but since I wasn't a member when i started this thread, I wasn't able to come up with anything useful.

I should have gone back and started searching but this thread was already rolling. (and honestly, I forgot )

I've gone back and began reading some of the threads I found, I haven't found a lot of recent first hand dislike of CMMG though.  A lot of 2nd and 3rd hand experiences, and some posts about old rifles.  Not a lot of well explained Piston vs. DI discussion either, which is the reason a lot of us here began looking at CMMG, that and their excellent .22LR products.

Living in MO I'd like to give my money to a MO business if possible, but I won't do so for an inferior product or for a future of bad customer service.

The other suggestions I keep seeing are Spikes or BCM...  I don't know anything about them.  I'll have to do a little more research.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I, along with several others, have had bad experiences with CMMG. Conversly, many others have reported good experience with them. The kicker is that if you need service from CMMG you may not get what you paid for. They are notorious for bad CS, unlike the BCM & Spike's. If you have a problem with a BCM or Spike's product you can bet your pay check that they will take care of it. CMMG on the other hand may or may not fix your problem & historically you might be more likely to experience troubles with their products. I used to like CMMG about four years ago until they screwed me. My tune soon changed within that year. Good luck with which ever brand you choose to go with.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top