Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/18/2006 3:08:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 4:05:57 AM EST by ZitiForBreakfast]
Are there any things you guys want to see pictures of? Specific's?

I have fired close to 3400 rounds of S&B, Ultramax and Winchester through her. I took her to the range yesterday and towards the end of tagging steel, she started acting up.

I run her with a light coat of CLP, I have left her alone between shoot's only to drop a few drops of CLP and rack the action a few times.

Pics below
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:14:48 AM EST
Wow! Yeah, I'd like to see pics of the bolt face and extractor assembly and maybe pics of the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:43:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 3:47:12 AM EST by ZitiForBreakfast]
Here they are, some are over sized for a reason

There you have it.

I am going to spend the next few days scrubbing her down. Can you see the wear on the roll pin? Dang...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:55:02 AM EST
Was this an experiment, laziness, or both? Nice pics. Now clean that damn rifle Marine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:58:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 4:28:09 AM EST by ZitiForBreakfast]

Originally Posted By JDC_VA_USMC:
Was this an experiment, laziness, or both? Nice pics. Now clean that damn rifle Marine.

Actually, both. I do think the AR can go a long time with out care, I started this in the fall when we got the Aimpoints in the GB. I talked with a guy at our club, he said no matter how many rounds he puts through it, he cleans it the same. 10 rounds or 1000, he scrub's away. He was/ is worred about care and function.

I told him I didn't think that was needed. So I stopped, it ws nice to come home from the range and just leave her in the bag. A little rust on the FSB will wipe/ go away with a brush and some oil.

No doubt, the way we cleaned our rifles in the Grunts....I would be doing 8 count body builders until my heart exploded if Gunny ever saw this

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:35:05 AM EST
You are so in trouble for laying that stuff on the carpet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:46:57 AM EST
From what i can tell in the pics, it looks better than what i thought it would have. Looks like the bolt took the worst of it with a lot of carbon build-up.

And as mentioned.... the wife will be po'd when she sees that carpet/rug.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:57:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Trainman:
You are so in trouble for laying that stuff on the carpet.

Originally Posted By unclez:
And as mentioned.... the wife will be po'd when she sees that carpet/rug.

It is an old towel covered with greese and dog hair.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:03:54 AM EST
Hmm, the firing pin channel and extractor slot actually look pretty clean for 3k rounds with no cleaning. I think you could get it dirtier . I imagine if you kept adding CLP it would continue to run without any cleaning at all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:05:47 AM EST
I'm glad you're teaching that ol' dirty whore of an upper that I sold you a lesson!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:09:25 AM EST
Now that's a nasty rifle.

I have no doubt you were having issues with the carbon fouling buildup I see there...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:25:46 AM EST
who made the rifle?

armalite? bushy? rra? oly? frankenar?

TXL
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:35:00 AM EST
...just like i like my women....dark and dirty lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:52:55 AM EST
You are obviously a liar . I have read here that the AR can't go more than a couple of hundred rounds without cleaning before it completely locks up. You took those pics after 50 rounds, didn't you?

Your rifle doesn't look that much different than my Bushie after 2000 rounds of Wolf. I usually clean it when I feel pity for it, not because I have any issues with functioning.

I laugh like an insane maniac whenever I read that you have to clean the AR so much to keep it working!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:59:30 AM EST
What kind of malf's did you start getting?

Also, if you change your hammer to a rounded top/front your carbine will stop bending the firing pin retainer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:10:10 AM EST
That's not very many rounds...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:16:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 7:19:36 AM EST by ZitiForBreakfast]

Originally Posted By TxLewis:
who made the rifle?

armalite? bushy? rra? oly? frankenar?

TXL

It is a Century Arms, Inc. C15 lower, ACE Skeleton stock, USGI buffer and spring, Magpul MIAD grip, the upper is peiced together, I have no idea the manufacturer, you would have to ask JoesphR that one. It has a YHM free float rail, Phatom suppressor, arms 40 and aimpoint and mixed up rail covers.

It is a good tool.

I got one FTE, two fail to fires and 3 rounds did not get seated enough for the gun to go 'click boom'. When I tried to take the bolt out, it needed some serious helping and the roller cam needed some serious negotiating prior to removal.

Maybe I'll lube her up now that she is apart and see how many more I can get. I just like shooting and if I am doing SPORTS and tap rack and bang each shot....I'll be bored...let alone safe.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:46:44 AM EST
I would ditch the notched hammer and notched carrier and run a DPMS (despured M16) hammer and enclosed carrier.

Your gun will operate smoother. It won't make a noticeable difference for most people, but you are into a high volume of shooting so it would be better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:17:16 AM EST
Is that a bit of fust I see under that FSB? And they say you don't need to Park under there...Mil spec;)
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:26:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By FedDC:
Is that a bit of fust I see under that FSB? And they say you don't need to Park under there...Mil spec;)

You bet, I didn't take care of her at all...Just a few drops of CLP on the carrier before shooting.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:26:54 AM EST
That's not bad, but it does go along with what I've always said. You MUST oil it for it to keep running, but it WILL keep going. The gas tube is the only thing that looks remotely dry in your pics. I'm suprised it doesn't look worse actually (the whole thing, not just the tube).

Just wipe down the bolt and carrier, punch the bore, use a chamber brush on it, add a couple drops of oil and keep on rockin.

I thought the Ultramax was suposed to be absolute crap. Was that what you were shooting when you got the failures or was it other ammo?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:36:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 9:39:34 AM EST by ZitiForBreakfast]

Originally Posted By want2race:
That's not bad, but it does go along with what I've always said. You MUST oil it for it to keep running, but it WILL keep going. The gas tube is the only thing that looks remotely dry in your pics. I'm suprised it doesn't look worse actually (the whole thing, not just the tube).

Just wipe down the bolt and carrier, punch the bore, use a chamber brush on it, add a couple drops of oil and keep on rockin.

I thought the Ultramax was suposed to be absolute crap. Was that what you were shooting when you got the failures or was it other ammo?

It was either S&B or the ultramax..I think it may have been both. I knew it was not an ammo problem because they both functioned flawlessly before and all the problems came one right after the other...Like when the bolt didn't seat the rounds all the way. If you could have felt what I had to do to get the roller cam out (pry, tap and bang)....I think you would agree that it was not an ammo issue.

I shot 600+ rounds of Ultramax prior to this day's shooting (in a single shoot) and didn't ahve any problems.

ETA: It was both S&B and some Ultramax relaods. I just looked in the ammo can of the spent casings from the brass call I did...The stuff on top is mainly S&B with some Ultramax...I bring it all loose to the range and in another can.

Top Top