Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 12:55:28 PM EDT
I have a metal mag.It is a 20 rdr.with the Colt floor plate. I am aware that people will switch floor plates and try to sell them for something else,it does have the piece of spring steel welded in it though that you must depress to romove floor plate.But my ? is about the mag.itself. On the front of it (the side facing the muzzle when iserted in rifle) there is an
"IU" in cap.block letters with the I inside the U do you know the man. of this mag and if they are reliable. Thanks for any info. any readers may have.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a genuine colt.  In my opinion the most reliable ar mags on the planet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool,Thanks ekg98 I got this mag at a gun show a
long time ago, as far as I know it has all the original internal parts. I don't recall having any misfeeds or other problems.I just pulled it out of the ammo box I keep my mags in and that
"IU" stamp caught my eye again so I thought I would find out for sure if its Colt or not.

Thanks again
    jwr730
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Universal Ind. Div.
Simmonds Prec. Prod. Inc

I believe these people made magazines for colt.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks D348.I have never heard of this co. before. The floor plate on the mag.reads 5.56
so this is a post 1969 manufactured mag.I got this info.off Biggerhammer boards.Do you know if this co. is still in business,or even making mags today.Thanks alot for the info.

jwr730
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if I am wrong but I beleive universal is still here.  All the 20rnds I seen are not directly made by colt.  All 20 rnds are good mags.  Colt just contracts a company to make the mags such as simmonds.  Then they put their floorplate on them.  Just for your information.  I seen at my local store adventure lines for 15 bucks a peice and in the same box they had colt for 35 bucks.  There are no differences.  You are welcome.  I am happy to help!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks ekg98 for the add.info.Interesting how the big boys work.But when you are tooled up to
manufacture the main component to a system it makes sense to contract out (and good for several businesses) for the rest of the pieces.
And thank you Troy for the link I am going there now. SeeYa!

jwr730
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top