Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/7/2004 10:24:56 AM EST
I want an upper with a flat top and no forward assist. Are any made?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:37:29 AM EST
No not that I'm aware of. You could make a flattop from and old SP1 but why? The FA isn't that damn heavy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:46:40 AM EST
It never ceases to amaze me when someone wants something out of the "norm" around here someone else always has to ask, "why?" Yet, let a non-gunowner ask the same thing...well, we know what the response is don't we?

Not that it is any of your business, I have a 9mm Colt that I'd like to convert to a flattop. In the interest in symmetry I'd like to make my 5.56mm Bushmaster match.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:47:39 AM EST
DPMS LO-PRO
JP CTR-02
Larue Tactical upper

you have options
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:53:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By dport:
It never ceases to amaze me when someone wants something out of the "norm" around here someone else always has to ask, "why?" Yet, let a non-gunowner ask the same thing...well, we know what the response is don't we?

Not that it is any of your business, I have a 9mm Colt that I'd like to convert to a flattop. In the interest in symmetry I'd like to make my 5.56mm Bushmaster match.

Damn dude take a .

You could make one like I said but it is still going to look different as the 9mm has a HUGE brass deflector and the .223 upper would need a rail screwed onto the top of the milled off handle. Also if you find a SP1 upper without the FA it might be a large pin, so you would be better off finding an early Colt M16 upper reciever w/o FA that will be a small pin front. SARCO may have some M16 uppers w/o FA.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:01:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By gotm4:

Damn dude take a www.deephousepage.com/smilies/chillpill.gif.

You could make one like I said but it is still going to look different as the 9mm has a HUGE brass deflector and the .223 upper would need a rail screwed onto the top of the milled off handle. Also if you find a SP1 upper without the FA it might be a large pin, so you would be better off finding an early Colt M16 upper reciever w/o FA that will be a small pin front. SARCO may have some M16 uppers w/o FA.

Sorry about that. I was coming back to edit my post, depserately hoping no one would notice how incredibly stupid I was for posting that, when I found I was too late.

Again, I apologize for the way I responded.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:20:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
DPMS LO-PRO
JP CTR-02
Larue Tactical upper

you have options

Also Les Baer has a F/A-less but otherwise A3-style upper
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:25:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 4:51:54 AM EST by Parrandero]

RRA 9mm upper with deflector and short port door replaced with "normal port door". Unfortunately it is not drilled for the gas tube.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:32:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 4:33:03 PM EST by militiamedic]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:48:35 PM EST
Something out of the norm.... Ameetec Arms - flat top upper with side charging handle. scroll about 1/4 of the way down.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:59:00 PM EST
RRAs 9mm is not cut for a gas tube.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:04:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

And the 9mm won't be symetrical to the .223 upper since the .223 won't have the big ass 9mm brass deflector.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:55:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 5:00:44 AM EST by Parrandero]

Originally Posted By gotm4:

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

And the 9mm won't be symetrical to the .223 upper since the .223 won't have the big ass 9mm brass deflector.

Easy to replace the 9mm deflector and short port door with a "normal port door". Just pull the pin and replace with .223 port door.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:42:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Parrandero:

RRA 9mm upper with deflector and short port door replaced with "normal port door". Unfortunately it is not drilled for the gas tube.

photobucket.com/albums/v499/Parrandero/IMG_0262.jpg

It would take some time for setup, but how hard would it be to drill/mill that for a gas port? If I had one to "waste" and needed it, I'd give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:47:02 AM EST

My RRA 9mm upper is drilled for a gas tube. Thats not a 100% accurate statement. Call RRA and ask them why the gas tube hole is drilled for some and not for others.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:47:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 6:47:59 AM EST by Parrandero]

Originally Posted By mongo001:

It would take some time for setup, but how hard would it be to drill/mill that for a gas port? If I had one to "waste" and needed it, I'd give it a go.

I don't think it would be hard to do. As soon as my friend gets back from his fishing trip he is going to chuck this up in his milling machine and give it a try.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:54:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Knife_Sniper:

My RRA 9mm upper is drilled for a gas tube. Thats not a 100% accurate statement. Call RRA and ask them why the gas tube hole is drilled for some and not for others.

Interesting, have you had it for awhile? I bought one recently and assumed it would be drilled for the gas tube. RRA may have stopped drilling them as a cost cutting measure. Is your 9mm upper assembled?
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:09:16 AM EST
Speaking of drilling for the gas tube, is there any significance to the shape of the hole in the upper? Would a circular hole be sufficient or does it need to be in the original shape?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:25:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:46:02 AM EST
mmmmm
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:33:59 AM EST

Interesting, have you had it for awhile? I bought one recently and assumed it would be drilled for the gas tube. RRA may have stopped drilling them as a cost cutting measure. Is your 9mm upper assembled?
Thanks for the info.

I have had it for two months and received it from ADCO. It was a pre-assembled post ban 9mm A4 flat top T-numbered upper.

I still dont have a magazine block for it. :(
It was and is my project gun but it is on hiatus.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:41:40 AM EST

Vulcan makes these, I dont care much for it though. Carbon fiber scares me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:54:47 AM EST
You may need to do more then just drill for the gas tube. I've never seen the inside of an RRA 9mm upper, but the Colt's would also need milling of the cam pin relief. When you drill and or mill the upper the anodizing is gone from the modified area as well. Not sure if this would be an issue for you, but it might.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:19:30 PM EST
I've got the "flat-top-mount-an-Aimpointitis." Here's the problem. I have a Colt 9mm and a Bushy. If I do for one, I do for both. Don't have too, but I like consistancy. I'm looking to get a flattop upper with brass deflector and dust cover, but no forward assist. The last part is purely cosmetic.

I was going to forego the 9mm brass deflector, but I don't know if the 5.56 brass deflector would work for a 9mm. Either way I have to have a brass deflector that will work. I'm a lefty and brass burns my right cheek with no deflector.

I figured the 9mm can have a port for the gas tube since it will be covered by the D-ring.

The big hole/small hole thing was bothering me until I saw that Bushmaster sells an adaptor.

The Les Baer looked like what I wanted, but fiscal realities will probably postpone this endeavor
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:34:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By Beowulf:
You may need to do more then just drill for the gas tube. I've never seen the inside of an RRA 9mm upper, but the Colt's would also need milling of the cam pin relief. When you drill and or mill the upper the anodizing is gone from the modified area as well. Not sure if this would be an issue for you, but it might.

Cam pin relief is there. Good point on the anodizing, I've thought about that and just don't know if it will be a problem. One way to find out I guess, onward through the fog!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:37:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By h8mtv:
img5.exs.cx/img5/8755/IMG_0815.jpg

Vulcan makes these, I dont care much for it though. Carbon fiber scares me.

Should trade that thing off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:50:22 PM EST
Dport

For what's it worth, the original 9mm Colt's did not have the plastic deflector, it was added a couple of years into production. As well, it was not and is not sold as a brass deflector. In fact, it's still listed as a GAS deflector in Brownells catalog, which is what it was originally designed to deflect. The 16 inch barrel on a blowback design dumps a lot of gas back into the shooter face, hence the gas deflector. It would seem to be simple enough to remove the gas deflector form your existing upper and see if it works for you. If it does, then you could proceed with the flat top option. If not, how about mounting the 9mm barrel to a standard upper with the shell deflector and see if that works. Worst case you end up with a bunch of different reasons to go to the range. Best case is you end up with a couple of AR's set up just like you want them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:20:21 PM EST
Fulton has their Legacy AR's with no FA. Just an idea, but maybe you could give them a call and see if they could make you one with a flat top rather than the carry handle.
Top Top