Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/31/2009 2:15:07 AM EST
Has anyone tried to use an ultrasonic cleaner on their AR-15s or other firearms? It looks like a good way to clean up, but I am concerned with the effects it might have on the part finishes (Parkerizing, Blueing, etc.) Also wondering if ultrasonics might be a good way to clean my brass for reloading.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:43:07 AM EST
I've used one with a dialute mix of Simple Green to clean/degrease lot's of gun parts. It'll take of a bit of rust too. Doesn't hurt park/blueing. Our's has a heating unit. If you let it get really hot and/or you leave plastic or aluminium part in there for a long time, it will take the finish off. Found that out with a plastic trigger guard. Haven't tried it on brass, but I bet it'll work well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 11:10:06 AM EST
I use the one I have at work, which has a nasty industrial solvent, for smaller parts, slides and my BCG all the time. I dump it in the mineral spirits tank to cool off (ultrasonic is heated) after the ultrasonic dip. It cleans up nicely after that, just be sure to saturate all your surfaces with a rust preventative after cleaning because the solvent removes all protectants so corrosion starts fast. The solvent we use will remove any paints or powder coating so be sure to research what you are using as a solvent.
Tumbling then a quick rinse in brake cleaner to remove any left overs is the best I have found for cleaning brass for reloading.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:06:24 PM EST
I have a Chicago Tool U/S cleaner that I got from Harbor Freight. In it I use Slip2000 #725 cleaner. I only use it to do BCGs and handguns. You do have to completely relube your parts after use.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:12:33 AM EST
I've been using a handgun sized US cleaner for about 6 months on disassembled handguns and ar15 parts and it works very well. I can't tell if it has taken some of the finish off or I just have never had the parts that cleaned and degreased before. It is supposed to be safe on finished but not for sites with tritium inserts.

A 2 step process is used with a cleaner/degreaser followed by CLP.

This is the brand I use http://www.jewelsmall.com/ulguncl.html
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:35:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 9:36:21 AM EST by pjomalley]
Love mine, I found one 20 in long and heated. L&R cleaner followed by ultrasonic soak in slip2000 lube after.
Top Top