Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 5:53:17 AM EDT
I was just wondering what truly are the best magazines out ther?  HK, USGI, Themold, Orlite with all the choices and makers whos really are the best and most reliable?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
In my honest opinion..............USGI magazines are the best!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
USGI hands down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd stick with USGI
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Labelle and D&H teflon coated mags w/ magpul followers and the older style magpul finger loop at the bottom are what I have been stocking these last few years.

IMO they are a step above the USGI (typically Okay Ind. 30 round mags, which I have plenty of), and I have never had a problem with any of the Labelles or D&H

Thermolds and Orlites, while okay for range work have reliability problems in dusty/dirty conditions, but I have a few and in non dusty condition the Thermomelts (as their sometimes referred to) are fairly good, just not for serious work.

FWIW the SA80 English "steel" mags are quite reliable, (if ya don't mind the weight or that they rust, have doz or so of them)

In 20 round mags USGI (w/ old alloy followers) mags are all I stock as the newer 20 round NGHBT (or whatever the initials are) have black plastic followers in 'em and I don't/WON"T spend my money on them.

EVEN the 40 year old USGI 20s I have still work like a champ which is why most of my 20s are decades old (Vietnam issue USGIs) and are the best you can buy.

Mike

ps - one note: always assume they will go bad (springs that is) at some time and like spare parts your AR15/M16 are a necessity so are replacement springs for your mags. (I like the chrome-silicon or Wolf ones)
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In my honest opinion..............USGI magazines are the best!

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey thanks I kinda thought that but with all the hype just wanted to make sure, the H&K looks good but I have heard alot of negatives about them.  Whos a good place to buy from?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
hk are good mags, but usgi work just as good
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
HK GenII = "The Best"
USGI w/Magpul follower  = close 2nd, and also the best bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I honestly don't think that the HK mags are the best.  I have heard (not prooven myself) that if you try to fire with the weapon on it's side (ghetto like, or if you are laying in a wierd way, etc) that it won't feed properly.  Also, they are heavier, and they cost more.  I have read on here where some have had issues with feeding.  Personally...I'd say buy a good USGI mag like:  CP (creative products), D&H/lebelle, OKAY, Pearsons, Adventureline, etc. You can get more for your $, and if you break one you won't be as sad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
IMHO, USGI

But now the REAL question...black or grey teflon?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Among the USGI mags, the D&H (LaBelle) Teflons stand out.  They are smoother inside and out than dry-film mags and seem more dimensionally consistent than some of the other USGI brands.  Now that they are only $10, no reason to get any other type.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I honestly don't think that the HK mags are the best.  I have heard (not prooven myself) that if you try to fire with the weapon on it's side (ghetto like, or if you are laying in a wierd way, etc) that it won't feed properly. I have read on here where some have had issues with feeding.  

Absolutely none of this is correct.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top