Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 5/15/2010 8:11:46 AM EDT
Are UTG stocks good quality? There is a complete set for 45 shipped and was wondering if I should invest is a different brand or not. Thanks,
dogman
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 8:20:35 AM EDT
UTG is for Airsoft and range guns.  Don't trust it on anything that might save your life.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 8:41:46 AM EDT
Dont get it. Find another M4 style stock, or if you want, spring a bit of extra cash and get a MOE or CTR stock...
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 10:01:02 AM EDT
There is a guy on the Equipment Exchange that sells complete CAR and M4 stock kits at very low prices.  They have great reviews.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 10:10:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Boomslang64:
There is a guy on the Equipment Exchange that sells complete CAR and M4 stock kits at very low prices.  They have great reviews.

Who is he?
Is the tube and other stuff okay? I was planning on replacing the stock with a MOE or CTR anyway.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 10:37:28 AM EDT
I put a UTG stock on my build, and have no complaints.  It locks into position very securely, and changes smoothly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 3:03:19 AM EDT
i had a UTG buffer tube, buffer and spring (before i knew any better) and for the life of me i don't know how they extruded or machined it, but the inside of the tube was so rough that my buffer would bind up inside the tube occasionaly when i would manually cycle the rifle.  even with a liberal amount of lube inside the tube it would still do it.  

i'm sure that they would have replaced it but i went ahead and swore off UTG from then on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 4:54:16 AM EDT
i've owned two, one is still on my dedicated ar22.  the other i had mounted on a 12 ga conversion.  it actually held up to the recoil of 00 buck and slugs, dont know for how long it would have though since i got rid of that shotgun.  they don't lock up very tight, lots of wobble.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 5:51:44 AM EDT
Thanks guys, I think I will be going with a BCM Mil-spec set and buy either a MOE or CTR later.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:02:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2010 6:09:32 AM EDT by RAYGUN73]
Originally Posted By dogman5:
Thanks guys, I think I will be going with a BCM Mil-spec set and buy either a MOE or CTR later.

This would be your best bet.

Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:57:31 AM EDT
Are MOE stocks sturdy? I was planning on getting a CTR but since this will be for my first build, I was think of going a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 7:02:55 AM EDT
utg is crap if you want a  good stock but magpul
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 8:37:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dogman5:
Are MOE stocks sturdy? I was planning on getting a CTR but since this will be for my first build, I was think of going a little cheaper.

CTRs and MOEs are almost the same. The CTR has a QD swivel socket and friction lock, the MOE does not.

I would look on the EE here and try to find a used CTR. I see them all the time for $75 or less shipped. Just make sure you get the correct stock for your receiver extension (milspec or commercial)

I have almost all of the various stocks that are offered and by far the CTR is my favorite. Dont get me wrong the MOE is great but for a few bucks more go for the CTR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 10:01:58 AM EDT
I have UTG stocks on my dedicated 22 AR's.  As stated above they are wobbly.  I doubt I'd use them on my 5.56mm AR's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 4:53:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By justin_schuyler:
UTG is for Airsoft and range guns.  Don't trust it on anything that might save your life.

That's a common misconception.  Leapers / UTG has a commercial / tactical line AND an airsoft line.  They are two separate divisions.  I can't comment on their stocks as I have only played with one while it was off the rifle and I don't own one.  Both my rifles came with stocks, stock bushy and a VLTOR.  I can say that they are overall a great company that stands behind their products.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 6:32:10 AM EDT
i have had a UTG stock and it felt cheap and didnt look like it was well made.  I ended up selling it and getting a better one

if you are looking for an m4 stock I have a complete stock kit for $50
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:42:11 PM EDT
The stock itself is fine, but commercial.  The issue is the CHEAP buffer, tube, and spring.  The spring is longer to compensate for its cheap quality.  My tube was slightly bent causing the bolt to bind inside the tube.  The tube was extremely rough inside as well.

I say... do not buy.  Waste of money.
Top Top